Complete France Forum

CPL/Powerline adapters

I've been using a Netgear Powerline adapter setup for over 2 years without problems. My "main" laptop and router in a small office and another laptop in the dining room. Yesterday I moved my "other" laptop to another mains socket on the other side of the room and it no longer connects to the network. No extension leads, no surge protector connected. This mains socket is on the same circuit as the one I moved it from. Any ideas as to what the problem could be? I've read that they don't always work but what technical explanation could there be? Sound like a house wiring issue... but what?

As a further test I spent another hour going round all the sockets in the house and then out into the garage and barn; it works everywhere else, even 40 metres away at the far end of the barn. Very odd.

No, polarity OK and earth OK. The CPLs are 2-pin devices so it is possible to insert them "upside-down" anyway, so I guess that polarity is not important.

I've read on the web that sometimes the odd sockets does not work but there's no explanation!

My guess would be that this is due to transmission line effects. Basically, a standing wave is set up along the power line, resulting in a "null" at that particular socket. Think of your FM car radio, which wont't receive a particular programme at one position, which is perfectly clear a few meters further on.

Quillan, the house is single phase and this socket is on the same circuit as 2 others in the same room, both of which work OK for the network.

It's really puzzling, and a bit annoying as we'd prefer the PC to be set up in the corner of the room where this rogue socket is.

EDIT Sorry Tonyv, I repeated that detail while you were posting your reply.

Oh dear, sorry about that. Can I suggest an alternative. If the computer has a WiFi card (if it doesn't you could by a USB 'dongle') you could the use the same sort of thing to send the signal round but there is a WiFi extender version. That bit could go in the working plug and should 'reach' the computer on the other side of the room with ease. I was thinking somethin like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/WiFi-Ethernet-Home-plug-adapter/dp/B002QAEF76/ref=pd_cp_ce_0 

Archived