Complete France Forum

More Telly advice sought.....

To all you fine techies who helped me with my choice of new TV, I must report that the Sony Bravia LCD 'slab' and Humax Foxsat HD box are working beautifully and Mrs Sunday is well chuffed with the ease of operation and the stunning quality of the transmissions, particularly the HD ones.

Whilst she is content to sit there square-eyed, I rarely watch anything on TV other than the BBC Formula One and MotoGP coverage.

Which brings me to my point..... 

Can I use the BBC Red Button on this setup to get the interactive stuff like in-car views, timing sheets, etc? There are red buttons on both the TV remote and the Humax remote - which one do I use?  I've just tried pressing them but the Humax remote just brings up a menu box and the TV remote does nothing.  Does that mean I can't get it or does it only work when a Red Button programme is being broadcast?  If so, how will I know that the Red Button option is live - does it appear on the screen?

Just asking now, because I'd like to get prepared ready for when the Australian GP comes on.

The red button option does appear when it's available, in the top right hand side of the screen.  Thus you have to get it on that option just before or during recording - you cannot  set it up in advance that I have ever managed (although Martin, Anton and Co will  no doubt know how if it's at all possible.)

Having said that, my Sky set up works but I have never managed to get the red button option on my Freesat receiver so I hope that I'm missing something as you are, and that we will shortly be enlightened!

The red button option normally pops up during the news, and also during some ads and trailers so that's the best time to test it.

I have just tried the red button on the Humax remote when watching BBC2 and it brings up a menu on the right, which gives Sports multi-screen on Text page 3001 (currently offering 8 screens of cwicket, footie final scores, sports news, sports headlines, more footie, more cwicket, and yet more sport offerings...)

Yawn...

[quote user="Clair"]I have just tried the red button on the Humax remote when watching BBC2 and it brings up a menu on the right, which gives Sports multi-screen on Text page 3001 (currently offering 8 screens of cwicket, footie final scores, sports news, sports headlines, more footie, more cwicket, and yet more sport offerings...)

Yawn...
[/quote]

Will you still be saying that when Wombledon's on [:)]

I can see Clair's point.  It's amazingly frustrating that a Sky box will produce - on the BBC - a host of sub-channels which are denied to "freesat" viewers.

Considering that all the actual streams are there already,  it's incomprehensible that the BBC have failed to implement the necessary software to make full red button functionality available.

A source of great annoyance to many I can assure you!

I am glad you have cleared that up, Martin.  I was beginning to wonder if I'd missed something since I can never get the "F1 Forum", as it's called, on the Freesat.  Given that it is so flagged up during the programme it is very annoying (or would be if I hadn't got Sky.)  It does add another reason (apart from 5* and 5US) for the Murdoch boxes - however much I hate to continue to patronise him.[:@]

Archived