Complete France Forum

Forgive me for asking, what will be for the experts a daft question, but anyway ..........

Our elderly CD player is on the blink and needs replacing. We're looking for something a lot more compact so that we can 'direct' the speakers in to the patio area and have music outside during the summer months (we're pretty secluded, so the only other living things that we'd disturb would be the sangliers!)

Presumably we can get something that will accommodate wireless speakers? Trailing wires around the perimeter of the room is a no-no for Mrs G.   

If so, what is the French terminology and would this by definition mean premium price?     

I hate to bring up the subject but have you thought of an MP3/i-Pod or similar?  You can then have a dock which you move about with ease - I have a rechargeable Logitec one which lasts for hours and is remarkably good sound-wise.  Not quite up to full-blown HiFi standards but fine for outdoors and so light and adaptable.

EDIT : If I were replacing my CD deck I'd have one of these:

http://www.brennan.co.uk/

[quote user="cooperlola"]

EDIT : If I were replacing my CD deck I'd have one of these:

http://www.brennan.co.uk/

[/quote]

Absolutely, it's been on my list for some time.......

An alternative wireless system from Philips is very good too, friends have one. You load the base unit with CD's and can take many many ( 5 ) wireless players anywhere within range and they can all play different music, really clever.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I have a rechargeable Logitec one which lasts for hours and is remarkably good sound-wise.  Not quite up to full-blown HiFi standards but fine for outdoors and so light and adaptable.

[/quote]

Thanks for that - sounds good & will research.

The other kit sounds good too.

Bought my wife some wireless speakers from Ebay. Plug the "transmitter" into the back of your CD system (AUX or Output) plug transmitter to the mains.....The speakers are either mains or batery powered and the receiving distance is ectremely good. My wife loves it, I got brownie points that day [8-|]

I bought my wife a Bose system. Basically a portable speaker that gets the music feed thru a dongle attached to your workstation/laptop in the house. Very simple to set up and remote accesses your music collection thru the dongle. Excellent range and has no problems with stone walls etc.

Vaguely related..... I have my music stored on a PC in the living room, which acts as a juke-box and outputs to my elderly, but good Sony amp. This is fine. I also have a decent wee hifi in the kitchen. I use a non-Ipod mp3 player to play music through this wee hifi - however, I would like to be able to stream music from the main PC to it, via some kind of wireless voodoo like the wifi network, giving me the same music playing in both rooms if required.

Is there anything that would do this?

Thanks, T. That looks perfect for what I need. Whilst its ok to have the mp3 player, I have to keep adding new music to it from the PC, and it would be nice to stream internet radio or Spotify to the kitchen too.

I will give that thing a try, I reckon.

The Brennan JB7 is a dog.

A very high price for a box with a very small hard disk and a lousy user interface.

The music database (which you have to pay to update) is very limited and all but useless for classical music.

You also need an external hard disk to maintain a backup of your music.

A decent PC, iTunes and a SqueezeBox setup would give you far more versatility. A SqueezeBox Radio with battery pack lets you take your music outdoors.

Marcardis

Archived