Complete France Forum

March 14 IE9 Final

The release times and dates for Internet Exporer Final.

US PDT March 14, 21:00
US MDT March 14, 22:00
US CDT March 14, 23:00
US EDT March 15, 00:00
UTC/GMT March 15, 04:00
UK / Ireland March 15, 04:00
Europe March 15, 05:00
Eastern Europe March 15, 6:00
Moscow March 15, 7:00
India March 15, 09:30
China March 15, 12:00
Japan March 15, 13:00
Australia AWST March 15, 12:00
Australia ACST March 15, 13:30
Australia AEST March 15, 14:00
New Zealand March 15, 17:00

Not compatible with XP.

I just took a look at my web stats back to 2008 and IE was the dominant browser with Mozilla at only 19%. This year however Mozilla is the dominant browser having over taken IE by more than 10% . Not only have MS got to address this massive swing but IE9 is not compatible with XP so MS have got it wrong again?? Windows 7 is a great stable platform but the lack of inbuilt email OE puts ordinary users off in my experience and computing in the cloud doesn't always mean receiving mail immediately into an inbox.

[quote user="Théière"]I just took a look at my web stats back to 2008 and IE was the dominant browser with Mozilla at only 19%. This year however Mozilla is the dominant browser having over taken IE by more than 10% . Not only have MS got to address this massive swing but IE9 is not compatible with XP so MS have got it wrong again?? Windows 7 is a great stable platform but the lack of inbuilt email OE puts ordinary users off in my experience and computing in the cloud doesn't always mean receiving mail immediately into an inbox.[/quote]

HTML 5! Cloud! XP!  Thankds for the smile with breakfast coffee.[:)]

[quote user="Tandem_Pilot"]

Not everyone likes the bleeding edge of technology :-)

66% of all windows users still use XP  -  source  http://www.conceivablytech.com/3227/business/66-of-all-windows-users-still-use-windows-xp

How was Vista for you?

[/quote]

My stat was from my website not some journalist so I know it to be true. Vista, ha gave it a complete miss

[quote user="Théière"]Vista, ha gave it a complete miss [/quote]

indeed, fortunately my experience so far has been to miss every second version of windows, so no ME or Vista :-)

I am still on XP however as it wants a chunky big disk for my laptop and appears not to run half the applications I use.

Well I went back from W7 Ultimate 64 to Vista Ultimate 64 because of compatibility problems with W7. I have had no problems (I guess that's asking for it) with Vista which I keep full updated. It's not let me down at all and all my software works with it OK as do all my media extenders and satellite cards, more than I can say with W7. I know it's not the fault of MS its the software not being rewritten for W7 or no manufactures drivers etc but I need something that works for me. Have to say although it takes a day or two to get used to it's much better and more stable than XP which I have on two other machines. If you have not tried it don't knock it, bit like sex really. [;-)]

[quote user="Quillan"]Well I went back from W7 Ultimate 64 to Vista Ultimate 64 because of compatibility problems with W7. I have had no problems (I guess that's asking for it) with Vista which I keep full updated. It's not let me down at all and all my software works with it OK as do all my media extenders and satellite cards, more than I can say with W7. I know it's not the fault of MS its the software not being rewritten for W7 or no manufactures drivers etc but I need something that works for me. Have to say although it takes a day or two to get used to it's much better and more stable than XP which I have on two other machines. If you have not tried it don't knock it, bit like sex really. [;-)][/quote]

64 could be a factor!

I skipped Vista when I bought a new laptop with W7. It's been fine apart from the annoyance of Flash Player not being available for 64 bit.

I use Chrome but mostly IE8. There is an issue with IE8 going slow from time to time, taking ages to closedown. A reboot fixes it; loads of items if you Google it. You'd think MS would be on the case!

Quillan is correct, it takes a little while to get used to W7, why they have to rename stuff...! But it is very stable.

Sid, I think Quillan was actually talking about Vista....but having said that W7 is quite similar in many ways to Vista.

I think Vista gets a bad wrap mainly I think because it had several problems at launch and the hardware requirements where too demanding for the average PC of the time.

Vista is actually quite nice to use providing you take the time (and have the knowledge) to set it up properly, starting with a fresh install using a vanilla (ie with no crapware) installation disk from Microsoft.

As regards IE9, I installed it today. There's good and bad. The good is that it's definitely a bit quicker than IE8 and I have had zero problems so far. The bad is that the interface can't easily be customised. For example, I hate the Favorites button being on the right (same problem in Chrome) but it can't be moved, there are no options to customise the tool bar. They've also buried some functions in sub menus that were previously easily accessible. For example, "Find on This Page" used to be easy to find, now its buried on the File menu which is a sub menu of the Tools menu. I can understand why they wanted to make the interface more sparse like Chrome but surely they could provide the option to customise things if they don't suit - that has been one of MS's strengths in the past.

Anyway, that's my 2penneth....feel free to disagree ;-)

[quote user="Rjpfrancais"]Sid, I think Quillan was actually talking about Vista....but having said that W7 is quite similar in many ways to Vista. I think Vista gets a bad wrap mainly I think because it had several problems at launch and the hardware requirements where too demanding for the average PC of the time. Vista is actually quite nice to use providing you take the time (and have the knowledge) to set it up properly, starting with a fresh install using a vanilla (ie with no crapware) installation disk from Microsoft. As regards IE9, I installed it today. There's good and bad. The good is that it's definitely a bit quicker than IE8 and I have had zero problems so far. The bad is that the interface can't easily be customised. For example, I hate the Favorites button being on the right (same problem in Chrome) but it can't be moved, there are no options to customise the tool bar. They've also buried some functions in sub menus that were previously easily accessible. For example, "Find on This Page" used to be easy to find, now its buried on the File menu which is a sub menu of the Tools menu. I can understand why they wanted to make the interface more sparse like Chrome but surely they could provide the option to customise things if they don't suit - that has been one of MS's strengths in the past. Anyway, that's my 2penneth....feel free to disagree ;-)[/quote]

Both Visa and W7 operating systems are available in 32 and 64 bit versions both 64 bit versions run 32 bit software. I think what PPP is saying is that perhaps the 64 bit versions are more stable, they are certainly much faster because they can use the full 64 bits available on the processors. It is a shame that there is still not a lot of 64 bit software out there and that when I checked the IE9 website it is currently only available in 32 bit, the 64 bit was there but grayed out so it must be on the way.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

On a netbook with XP IE8 using the touchpad and left hand means that favoris on left is ergonomically correct.

Inn contrast to the Vista tower using IE9 and a mulot where the favoris icon on the right is conversely ergonomically correct.

[/quote]

Of course if I wanted to have my "favoris" on the ergonomically in correct left hand side I would just use the "épinglé" function and shift them all lock stock and barrel. I have a french operating system and would not have the faintest idea how to do it in english.[;-)]

I think that by "épinglé" you are referring to the Win7 pin/dock to taskbar function. But us Vista users don't have that option :-(

Actually I found a workaround that works in both IE9 and Chrome. Create a folder in the Favorites Bar (or Bookmarks Bar in Chrome) and copy all your favorites into it (its best to use Windows Explorer for IE9, so don't do this unless you're proficient with WE) . Then in IE9 make sure the Favorites Toolbar is displayed and drag the folder over to the RHS. Works pretty well in IE9 and Chrome.

@Quillan - Its not quite correct to say 64bit systems are much faster than 32bit systems. That depends on so many factors but suffice to say for most everyday tasks there is in fact very little difference. The main benefit of 64bit systems is that they can handle more than 4Gb of RAM but that only speeds things up if your system actually needs more RAM. That may be the case for example for video editing or cutting edge games but not for every day browsing or word processing ;-)

[quote user="Rjpfrancais"]I think that by "épinglé" you are referring to the Win7 pin/dock to taskbar function. But us Vista users don't have that option :-( Actually I found a workaround that works in both IE9 and Chrome. Create a folder in the Favorites Bar (or Bookmarks Bar in Chrome) and copy all your favorites into it (its best to use Windows Explorer for IE9, so don't do this unless you're proficient with WE) . Then in IE9 make sure the Favorites Toolbar is displayed and drag the folder over to the RHS. Works pretty well in IE9 and Chrome.[/quote]

I am happy with it on the right with my French Vista PC but for curiosity pop it over to the left now and again. Bit like watching tennis.

Scrub my last comment re not being able to pin sites to the Taskbar in Vista. I was wrong, yes you can do it in Vista!!

In fact you can pin web site shortcuts to the task bar or the start menu, or you can pin your whole favorites folder if you like. The only difference is that we Vista users can't put these pinned sites into taskbar Jump Lists.

@pachapapa: re épinglé'ing (franglais or what!) - yes I see now how you can open favorites with the start icon and the click on the little green arrow at the top to pin favorites to the left. As far as I can see this approach has two downsides; the favorites 'tree' window stays open thus taking up screen space on the left. And as soon as you click on the Favorites star icon, the Favorites window flicks back to the right :-(

For now, I'm sticking with having my Favorites as folder in the Favorites bar, although I might use Pinned sites facility for certain sites.

Well its good to learn new things :-)

Archived