Complete France Forum

We seem to have some sort of cut-out set for our internet connection (orange).  If we don't "use" it for about 45 minutes, it just disconnects.  I put the word use in inverted commas as we are often doing something like a lengthy download when the thing quits on us.  It's infuriating.  I have searched all our menus and Tools etc and tried looking on the orange site, but can't see where this default time-out is set.  Can anyone tell me how to override it/make it longer?

Thanks

Chrissie (81)

There is no default time out with Orange that I know of.  Some routers allocate a lease time for an IP address but that is for inactivity so should not cut you off mid download and in any case the Livebox (Livebox 2 anyway) does not have a setting for that.

How do you get reconnected when this happens ?

Also which OS do you have ?

We're on XP.  A bar flashes up saying (in Fr) something like "You have been disconnected from service".  We have buttons to choose reconnect, cancel, help etc.  Reconnect usually works straight away, but the download will have stopped and quit.  Our phone line is not brilliant, but not that bad either, and stays connected throughout this sort of palaver.  (We have complained frequently to FT about the poor line and they come and mess about and nothing changes.) 

I have been trying the long downloads as am trying to get hold of progs on IPlayer (using Expatshield) which we cannot view "live" as our broadband speed is too low.  I thought that if I downloaded them for Windows Media player we would have a while to watch them.  The one I have been trying is a 1-hour prog, but this is taking 2hrs 40 odd to download and this is where we never get to the end of it!

Could it be a memory problem?  Have just bought additional memory but as it only came this morning we haven't had time to figure out how to fit it yet. 

Chrissie (81)

Ah, blessings on you Albert!  I was just wondering how to describe our set-up and you've hit it on the head.  there's no Livebox.  We have a Wanadoo Extense haut-debit modem, plugged in via USB and the whole thing goes through a filter into the phone socket.  We're hopefully extending the life of our current PC by adding the extra memory (assuming I can figure out how to get the top off the machine today!), and therefore not changing anything for a couple of years when doubtless the whole thing will have to be replaced.

Cut-out moans apart, I actually managed to watch one whole episode of something on Iplayer late last night, using the "lower broadband" option, so fingers crossed for the next one.

Chrissie (81)

I'd guess (and bow to others more knowledgeable) that you're simply a victim of a poor ADSL connection.

Ours in France sometimes just stops (it was far worse when we first had ADSL in 2007,  subsequent work at the exchange improved things a bit although we're still only 512 kbps at best).

If the "syncrhonisation" is disturbed for any reason (noise on the line,   a lot of traffic on other lines on the same circuit) it takes out the whole thing,  and you're being prompted to initiate a reconnection (although on ours why it sometimes does it itself and why it sometimes asks I don't know).

It even happens in Britain where our connection is faster - normally late afternoons.

But maybe it's more complicated than that,  check the other suggestions too.

[quote user="Martin963"]I'd guess (and bow to others more knowledgeable) that you're simply a victim of a poor ADSL connection. <snip>

If the "synchronisation" is disturbed for any reason (noise on the line,   a lot of traffic on other lines on the same circuit) it takes out the whole thing,  and you're being prompted to initiate a reconnection (although on ours why it sometimes does it itself and why it sometimes asks I don't know).[/quote]

This gets my vote. If your line has poor voice quality due to electrical noise then in my experience the line noise will have a far more detrimental effect on the ADSL signal, which is far more sensitive to noise. Just about the only thing that you can do (apart from badgering FT to sort out the incoming line) is to ensure that the noise isn't coming from YOUR end of the circuit: ie ensure that your ADSL modem connects at the master socket, disconnect extensions to see if they are a noise source, etc.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Chrissie"]We have a Wanadoo Extense haut-debit modem, plugged in via USB and the whole thing goes through a filter into the phone socket.[/quote]

Is yours an older house Chrissie, say 25 or more years old? If so then you might have a capacitor in the main phone entry point which could be removed to improve the quality of your adsl.

Sue

We had the capacitor thingy removed shortly after we moved in.  The phone line has always been dire.  I think I will try the FT people on Monday and see if they would come and replace the phone lead from the entry to the first main sockets (back to back through skirting in two rooms) where we have our principal phone and then the PC, and replace the sockets as well as they are far from new.  Other phones are wireless.  I assume this would be at our expense as it is inside the house.

It is true that we get better reception on both phone and Internet late at night when the rest of France is either sleeping or out living it up!

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Chrissie"]There's no Livebox.  We have a Wanadoo Extense haut-debit modem, plugged in via USB and the whole thing goes through a filter into the phone socket.  We're hopefully extending the life of our current PC by adding the extra memory (assuming I can figure out how to get the top off the machine today!), and therefore not changing anything for a couple of years when doubtless the whole thing will have to be replaced.[/quote]

Chrissie, I don't have that type of modem on my home system but I'll be looking at one with a similar modem in the next few days. If you have the software I think you have then you open a small Wanadoo application that then allows you to log onto the Internet, open a browser, etc. It's quite possible that that has a setting to cut out after a period of 'inactivity', which would be defined by whether you are using the keyboard or mouse, rather than whether there is any Internet traffic (downloads, etc.). Look for a button to get into parameters, or summat like that.

It may be worth your while changing your internet subscription and getting a Livebox, even without upgrading your machine. The charity I work for had a similar setup to yours, costing about 25€ per month and limited to under 1 Meg by the hardware and the contract. We changed the subscription to Decouvert and immediately saved 6€ a month on the basic subscription with a max speed (depending the exchange and line) of 8 Meg. We actually get well over 4 Meg. There was a special deal at the time that effectively gave us a free Livebox, but even paying 3€ a month we'd have been ahead on the deal. Decouverte is also sans engagement, so if you ever decide to switch ISPs you don't need a long notice period.

The only possible problem I can see is that it won't connect via USB so you'll need a network socket on your PC -- most laptops and most modern desktop machines have these anyway, but you can always add one quite cheaply if you need to.

Unfortunately I can't get into the Orange page about this offer from my machine because 'it isn't compatible with my present formule'.

Thanks Albert, we pay 19.90 per month for unlimited internet, at 1Meg I think, but as the highest we ever seem to get is about 800kb, there doesn't seem much point in upgrading until we get the line and socket business sorted.  I've been through the Wanadoo settings and preferences and there is nothing to seem to limit the connection time.  Will just have to pop in every 10 mins or so and wiggle the mouse and do a few keystrokes and see if that helps.  We put the extra memory in yesterday and what a difference that has made to general ops!

Chrissie (81)

it sounds like you already have 'Découverte Internet'

But the cost of this is now 21 euros per month from 1st feb 2011. check your recent bills to see what your package is called and the price.

It would be useful to know exactly what it says in your espace client/ ma formule

i.e decouverte internet 8M(1M) for example.

If you do have this package, you can rent a livebox from Orange or buy and use your own modem/router if you want. But as Albet says you need to make sure that your computer has a network slot to connect to.

As for the deconnections, there are some possible causes listed here.

http://assistance.orange.fr/deconnexions-intempestives-des-modems-adsl-usb-106.php

most of these are caused by settings on your computer or your line - other phones, filters, fax machines, telephone extension leads etc

On the conputer, for example, Energy saving settings which switch off the modem after a certain time.

Go through all the suggestions on the page at tyhe link above and see if there is any improvement.

Danny

Chrissie,

Just one last thing. If you can, check exactly which modem you have (extense is a bit of an umbrella name) and its maximum speed. A lot of the Wanadoo USB modems are limited to speeds of under one meg. You should also check your potential speed using one of the online checkers--I think Orange have one on their site. You might be able to get a faster, more reliable connection using a more modern 'box'.

Albert, it's the Extense Kit ADSL  version 5.62a whatever that is - tried Googling etc but no details I could find about limitations on speed.  I did the Orange ADSL check test and it said "Deb desc 1022 kbps, max 1024; deb mont 196, max 256".  Does that mean anything to you?

I have meanwhile disallowed the power saving setting on the Modem itself and so far this morning it has stayed connected, although the little green triangle goes from dark to pale on a regular basis.

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Chrissie"]

I did the Orange ADSL check test and it said "Deb desc 1022 kbps, max 1024; deb mont 196, max 256".  Does that mean anything to you?[/quote]

Sounds like it is thye state of your phone line that's limiting you. Some of the other techies are more knowlegable about that side of things. Sorry, it was worth a look.

Chrissie,

can you try to test your line here:

www.degrouptest.com

enter your telephone number only and click on TESTER

When the results appear, scroll down the page a little and click on 'plus de détails'.

Copy all the parts on the left under 'Informations techniques' and post the results here. That will give us more info on the line capabilities.

EDIT EDIT Don't copy and post the box with the star which says 'Être informé en cas de changement....' as this displays your telephone number.

EDIT EDIT also where it says Opérateurs - Offres FT Internet IP/ADSL can you post the results from the first column?

On the line 'Code Commutateur Local', click on 'fiche détailée'and copy and post the bits in the table that says 'Offres France Télécom disponibles sur ce NRA' as well.

Danny

Ok, here goes:

Informations techniques

Caractéristiques générales de la ligne :

Etat de la ligne :

ACTIVE

Code Commutateur Local :

81163MAZ

Nom Commutateur Local :

MAZAMET

Longueur de ligne :

4067 mètres :

4/10 sur 2117 mètres

6/10 sur 1950 mètres

Affaiblissement théorique :

51.84 dB

[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL :

2239 kbps (280 ko/s)

[Estimation] Débit descendant ADSL 2+ :

2534 kbps (317 ko/s)

Caractéristiques du central France Télécom :

Plaque ADSL :

MP1

Type de DSLAM :

ALCATEL ou ECI

Zone Dense (> 20 000 lignes) :

Non

Nombre d'abonnés approximatif :

NRA compatible ADSL FT :

Oui

NRA compatible ADSL Max FT :

Oui

NRA compatible ADSL2+ FT :

Oui

NRA compatible ReADSL FT :

Oui

Offres FT Internet IP/ADSL :

IP ADSL 512 (512/128 Kbps)

Possible

IP ADSL 1024 R (1024 Kbps/128 Kbps)

Possible

IP ADSL 1024 Pro (1024 Kbps/256 Kbps)

Impossible

IP ADSL 2048/256 (2048 Kbps/256 Kbps)

Impossible

IP ADSL Max (jusqu'à 8 Mégas/800kbps)

Impossible

IP ADSL Max 2+ (jusqu'à 18 Mégas/1Mbps)

Impossible

Offres ADSL Orange (cf. IP ADSL)

Possible

ADSL Nu (sans abonnement FT)

Possible

+ Orange TV (Bouquet Orange TV)

Possible (SATELLITE)

+ Orange TV Haute Définition

Impossible

+ Canal (Canal+ ou CanalSat)

Impossible

Opérateurs présents sur ce NRA :

FT               17/04/2001     28/10/2004        ADSL  ADSL 2+  (telephone) (TV)   Abonnement Orange

Free            04/03/2007      04/03/2007      ADSL  ADSL 2+  (telephone) (TV)    Abonnement Free

SFR            18/04/2008      18/04/3008      ADSL  ADSL 2+  (telephone) (TV)    Abonnement SFR

Bouygues   13/11/2009      13/11/2009      ADSL  ADSL 2+  (telephone) (TV)       Abonnement Bouygues

(Sorry about the horrid formatting)

Chrissie(81)

Assuming the numbers are correct that is, and there is no guarantee that they are.

The only real way for the user to check is to compare the Affaiblissement théorique (theoretical attenuation) reported by the likes of degrouptest and the actual attenuation which can be found in the router, any significant variation means that FT's database is wrong. You are looking for lower numbers and a discrepency of at least 3 to 6dB. Unfortunately with a USB modem there is no way to get that figure. Equally unfortunately is the fact that it is extremely diffcult to get FT to correct such mistakes, I know, I have been trying for 18 months !

One thing which has occured to me is that your USB ports might be configured to shut down after a period of inactivity to save power. To check this go into the Device Manager then under USB you should see one or more entries named 'USB Root Hub'. Right click on the first one then click properties then choose the power management tab, there should be a tick box there which says 'Allow Windows to power down this device' (or words to that effect) untick if ticked then do the same to any other Hubs listed.

USB Hubs are not set to turn off and save power.  Looks like we have to live with it, although connection has definitely been better since I went through in a temper and gave the phone socket in the next room a good kicking......[:)]

Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Chrissie (81)

Archived