Complete France Forum

CHANNEL 4 in Hign Definition on its way to "freesat"

Those of you with Sky HD already have this of course, but the more cash-strapped amongst us will soon be able to enjoy (is that the right word, haven't watched anything on ch 4 for several months now) it in HD too.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1432017

I haven't as yet ascertained how it's going to be shoe-horned onto Astra 2D (as it probably will have to be);   Auntie was apparently trying to sublease some space so maybe it'll go there.

Must talk to you off-forum about Fransat Simba and how to watch anything recorded that's longer than half an hour via computer sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
Now testing on 12607 MHz,  V,  28250 kbps.

Interestingly that's a Eurobird transponder,  and I've spent the morning trying to get it to work here in Devon;  my dishes are optimised on 2D and Eurobird can be a bit problematic therefore.   Not helped by an old LNB that I knew was blind on 11954 MHz but also seems to be similarly afflicted on 12607 MHz.

Note the non standard symbol rate which probably prevents viewing on Sky boxes (although you still have the encrypted version so you're not missing anything).

I'd be interested to see how it's coming in in France,   it's been suggested the power is being held down.

Danny?

Hi Martin,

Yes I do watch the HD channels more than any other French channels. I know there are some reports of pictures freezes recently but I have not been waching them enough to note how much it is happening. I saw your posts on the TVNT forum......

Danny

• 1 month later...
After something of a false start,    ch 4 HD is back free to air.

Same frequency (12609 MHz) with V polarisation,  but the symbol rate is now a more standard 27500 kbps.

It won't appear on the freesat EPG for a couple more weeks probably,   but you can tune it in manually.   However,   check that you set the transmission system to DVBS2 (not the more usual DVBS).

Let's hope they don't put the encryption back this time.

Well you are of  course quite right Danny,    but it's what I input this morning (without checking) and - given the width of most transponder channels - most receivers would still find it with only a 2MHz error.

But yes,   I should have got it spot on.

I will now slap myself.

Archived