Complete France Forum

Humax HD Freesat problem

After 2 problem free years with my Freesat box, yesterday in an attempt to validate a line from the quad LNB to another box, I disconnected the Humax box. On re-connecting the front display panel goes into action, but then instead of the usual "appl" it carries on searching (with no on screen picture/display) and does not stop.Any suggestions?

First thought is a short circuit that's been caused by disturbing the connection.    Would suggest taking off the F connectors,   checking for stray braid,  and then remaking connections at both ends.

You could try the Humax on the end of one of the other cables from the Quad LNB and seeing if it works there.

What happens if you try switching it on with nothing connected to the Humax input?

Sorry if you've thought of all those already.

In which case may be you could try a factory reset/first time install (assuming you can get into the menus,  sounds as though you can't).  .   Although I suspect you'll lose any recordings (if it's a HDD recorder as well).    There's probably a "secret" front-panel method of re-initialising (there usually is on most boxes of this sort) but that's pretty much kill or cure!

Having said that,   occasionally on my boxes (particularly a Technisat) I get a problem where a LNB feed simply isn't detected.   I'm not sure if the connection point has oxidised internally or something similar,   it just seems to take a number of unplugs/replugs of the cable from the dish for it suddenly to start working.   Remaking the connection (ie,  disconnect,   cut off the first inch of the cable,   then re-strip and re-make) sometimes also does the trick.

But yours sounds a bit more serious.....?

Thanks again. Problem with factory reset is that to get there I need to operate menu button and then set up etc. but I can't get into the system at all.To my simple mind it sound like a processor fault or something similar.

I must say even the non HD pictures seem inferior on the Sky box.

Jazzer, are you saying that your box normally shows the characters "appl" when you turn it on? Mine shows "boot". Are we talking about the same kind of box here? Mines a Foxsat HDR... is there another kind?

Have you tried googling for a hard reset/front panel reset/factory reset with no menus or similar?

I'd be surprised if there isn't a method of depowering completely,   then repowering with one or more buttons pressed on the front panel (assuming there are any!) to force the box to go back to basics.   And if you don't have a hard disc you're not going to lose anything.

(Laters - actually I've just tried googling and can't find anything.    Maybe it's going to be a repair job).

I have emailed Humax, and whilst it does not help me I am providing their reply in case it may help someone else.

Warning: these instructions will wipe your recording schedule. However you will NOT lose your already recorded programmes.

Switch OFF the Humax product from Electricity.

Disconnect the aerial cable from the Humax product.

Power On the Humax(reconnect electricity)

Press Menu.

select installation on the humax remote.

Enter your password

Select Default setting and press OK

select yes from the pop up option and press OK

Enter your password

The humax product will now go Blank and then reboot.

When the Humax logo appears switch the Humax product off,

Connect the aerial cable to the Humax

Power on the Humax product and it will automatically replace your channels.

This should fix the issues.

I have emailed again and will update if necessary.

Archived