Complete France Forum

Best mobile/3G provider without contract?

I bought a smartphone, and have a Leclerc pay-as-you-go SIM but it won't give me 3G connection. SFT will give well a SIM card but insist on a monthly contract which I don't want as I don't use it regularly, I'd prefer just to pay for what I use. Can anyone suggest a 3G provider so when I'm out I can surf hte internet, etc., pick up emails, without needing to be connected to a Wifi spot? Thanks.

[quote user="nectarine"]I bought a smartphone, and have a Leclerc pay-as-you-go SIM but it won't give me 3G connection. SFT will give well a SIM card but insist on a monthly contract which I don't want as I don't use it regularly, I'd prefer just to pay for what I use. Can anyone suggest a 3G provider so when I'm out I can surf hte internet, etc., pick up emails, without needing to be connected to a Wifi spot? Thanks.[/quote]

Leclerc Mobile use the SFR "reseau"; so cant see why a WAP configured LeC mobile wont work the same.

thanks ... I've looked at Leclerc's site and it says I can (though strangely enough a few weeks ago it didn't mention 3G!). Anyway, yesterday I was out in the countryside with my phone and found an SFR signal but still couldn't get 3G. Am I doing something wrong?

I am sure I read somewhere that not all of France has 3G, I know where we are we don't get it and I have an SFR phone on monthly payment. I can' remember where I saw it because it's of no interest to me.  One thing I did discover is that if you want to use it 3G for Internet connection it ain't cheap as I found out the hard way.

Paramètres WAP

Pour activer le service WAP sur votre téléphone, il est nécessaire de créer et d’activer un compte (ou profil) WAP qui comporte les caractéristiques suivantes :

• Nom du profil : WAP LeclercMobile *

• Support de données : GPRS

• URL de la page d'accueil : http://wap.leclercmobile.fr

• APN ou Point d'accès GPRS : wap66

• Adresse IP du proxy : 192.168.021.009

• Type de port du proxy : non sécurisé

• Numéro de port du proxy : 8080

• Protocole : HTTP

• Porteuse de données : données paquets

• Authentification : normale

• Nom d'utilisateur : ne rien renseigner

• Mot de passe : ne rien renseigner
* si votre mobile n’accepte pas autant de caractères, saisir à la place wap66

[quote user="Quillan"]

I am sure I read somewhere that not all of France has 3G, I know where we are we don't get it and I have an SFR phone on monthly payment. I can' remember where I saw it because it's of no interest to me.  One thing I did discover is that if you want to use it 3G for Internet connection it ain't cheap as I found out the hard way.

[/quote]

The OP stated that SFR was available.

However, it is expensive and low population areas are not covered by 3G or 3G+, GPRS is a bit like dial-up.

Please check the SFR map at following link.

http://assistance.sfr.fr/mobile_forfait/mobile/couverture-reseau/en-48-62267

If you enlarge GOURGE (79).....I live in a white area on the banks of the Thouet.[:(]

[quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]Not all of the UK has it either.

Archived