Complete France Forum

Computer won't start after trying to install Windows 7 SP1

Hi

I tried to install Windows 7 SP1 on my laptop (computer 1) and had an error message Fatal error 0xc0000034 (plus a small amount of other words that I didn't note) on a black screen. I turned the computer off. All I was able to do was turn the computer on and off and nothing happened either time except that the power light came on, and stayed on.

I found on Windows website that this is a quite comon error on trying to install SP1, and some solutions were given. I started to try one which said I should turn on the computer and press F8 as my computer restarts, before the Windows logo appears. I did exactly that, following which the screen remained blank and the computer would do nothing at all, the power light would not go off (not plugged in to mains).

I am now, obviously, using another computer, an old, Vista, one. (computer 2). I copied all my files from computer 1 this week three times, to 2 external disks and a USB key, so was confident that I had all my pictures and documents up to date. I had checked that they had copied correctly. I have just attempted to copy them to comp 2, but have found that the all contain files only up to last year. I have written many very important letters recently and had a lot of very precious photos, and the recent ones aren't there. I do not have a high level of knowledge about computers but have used them in my jobs and am not a complete idiot where they are concerned.

Can anyone tell me, in very simple clear terms please, what I can do to computer 1 to get it working again, if anything, and to find/restore the missing files to the external disks so that I can copy them to comp 2? Any help very gratefully received.

Not my day today - Free phone not working - engaged tone all the time, and Avast antivirus latest version updated today on comp 2 keeps telling me it's detected a threat but when I look at the info on it just tells me how to buy a more comprehensive version of Avast antivirus, tho the latter could just be a ploy to get me to buy the non-free version.

Regards

loire

[quote user="Loire"]...... I did exactly that, following which the screen remained blank and the computer would do nothing at all, the power light would not go off (not plugged in to mains). [/quote]

If it were me and I had the power light not going off I would look round the side, back and front of the laptop for a little hole (about 2mm in diameter) often marked as 'Reset' and stick a tooth pick or similar NON METAL object in to reset the computer. You won't get data off the hard drive unless you can boot the computer. What Bob is saying is if it reboot's do not get tempted to do a complete restore without backing up the computer as you will loose all the data on it.

Thanks very much Quillan. Amazingly, when I was looking around for the reset button, goodness knows why I thought of doing it, but I took out the battery then put it back in. Lo and behold, the computer booted up and has started a repair. It's now asking me if I want to do a system restore. Is my understanding from your and Bob's posts correct that it's best to say no to that?

Regards Loire

A system restore will not overwrite your data, but reset your computer to an earlier date/time.

See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/What-is-System-Restore

What Quillan and BobT are saying is that you should not rebuild/reset to factory default, using disks you might have created when you first started the PC or the partition of your hard disk which holds the default factory data.

Is this the error you have come across? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975484

If it is, you should be able to reset your PC to a time and date just before the SP1 update, then install SP1 by itself, without any other update.

Once the PC has rebooted after the SP1 install, you can then install any other update.

Thanks to you all, my computer is now working as normal, a great relief! Thanks An0ther, I did know about the holding down the on/off to turn it off, but, starngely, in this instance it did not turn off the light.

Regards

Loire

Archived