Complete France Forum

Just wondering whether somebody might be able to help in diagnosing a problem?

We have a 'tower' PC bought in the UK some 6 years ago, just before we came over here. To go with it, we have a large screen monitor.

For the last week, the screen has been 'blipping' on & off on initial switch-on. This is regular (as in every 5 seconds or so), until it eventually stabilises after 3 or 4 minutes and the screen is 'lit up' as you'd expect it to be. Normal start-up would take no more than a minute, with the screen lit up. A couple of times, the mouse has 'frozen' and the only way to resolve it has been to unplug and re-boot.  Other than that, once up and running, everything is OK.

Any thoughts?  PC or screen (my fear is the former!)

I do have somebody locally who could carry out a proper diagnosis / repair (if necessary), but any suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

Just an update on this & maybe some help to others experiencing a similar situation.

The problem got worse but only gradually, until just 2 wks ago it failed to clear, i.e. the screen was blipping on & off continually. Impossible to proceed in to Explorer.

By chance, we'd received some 'pub' that day from a local internet cafe c-u-m (why on earth doesn't the s/w like that!!) repair place and so I took the screen there for a checkout. Needless to say, the screen was the problem: the lads there kindly lent me a screen and after checking out the old one, have ordered a replacement. Picking it up on Monday.

These lads were really helpful, and yes I know that they could be stitching me up over a new screen .......... but I somehow doubt it.  They're just not making enough out of it & if they are, good luck to them. 

Thanks to all for the suggestions - happily it wasn't the pc! [:)]    

Archived