Complete France Forum

How do I increase computer's memory?

We've got an HP Pavilion computer (bought in France with French Windows XP). Can anyone tell me how to add more memory to it so it'll be ok for games. What sort of memory do I need? Does it need to be the same as is already in the computer? Where is the best place to buy it?

Any advice very gratefully received.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fitting extra memory is easy, assuming you have a free slot, but more memory alone will not necessarily make much if any difference to game playing capability, the processor and graphic capabilities will laregly detemine that.

There are further questions to be asked before meaningful advice can be given.

Which actual model of Pavillion is it, how much RAM is currently installed, and what games do you hope to play on it ?

Ok I hope I've got the information. If this isn't what I need to tell you, can you tell me where it'll say on the computer?

It's AMD Athlon 64, 3500, 2.20GHz, 960Mo de RAM, Media Centre Edition.

The game is Call of Duty - it's the one in Russia (but I haven't got the game here at present)

I'd be glad if you can help me as I don't really know anything about computers.

If it is this one Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

then here are the system requirements

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 (Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are unsupported)
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor or better supported
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT or better or ATI Radeon 1600XT or better
DirectX®: Microsoft DirectX(R) 9.0c
Hard Drive: 12GB of free hard drive space
Sound: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
Internet: Broadband connection required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet Connection required for activation

Your PC specifications would seem just about OK. Without the model number of the PC or more info about the graphics card then it is hard to say.

Danny

to check the graphics card,

click on démarrer > exécuter > and enter dxdiag in the box > click OK 
Click on the third tab "Affichage" and all the info about the graphic card will be there.

You can then copy the info and post it here.

Danny

Many memory re-sellers websites have programs you can use to interrogate your existing machine, tell you whats fitted and what the maximum memory is available. I have given a link to one such site below. When it asks about Save or Run during the download select Run. At the end it will display the results in your browser.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/index.aspx

I have used the above several times on different machines with no problem.

Hope that helps and good luck.

P.s. You should try that game on the Wii its brilliant.

I did you suggested Quillan and although it said it couldn't make a complete match, it told me this:

The following is a list of what our scan was able to detect:

System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061

System Model: RF767AA-ABF a1605.fr

Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC.

Motherboard Model: NODUSM3

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4194304 MB

Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB

Available Memory Slots: 2

Total Memory Slots: 4

Dual Channel Support: N.A.

CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD

CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ Mod]]]]le 15, niveau 2

CPU Speed: 2204 MHz

well it is hard to say exactly. You may have a problem with the graphic card being slightly outdated. If you really want to run the game (if it is the one I suggested earlier) I would suggest changing the graphics card and upgrading the system memory. Costs depends on what card and how much memory but they are both pretty straightforward tasks for someone with a bit of computer know how. You just have to make sure that the graphics card will fit the slot in your PC and that the extra memory you buy is the same type.

If you don't want to do this yourself, then a local computer shop should do it fairly cheaply. I would guess maximum 1 hour for changing the card, memory and loading the drivers for the graphic card. Plus the cost of the parts, there should be change from 120 euros.

Nothing to lose by asking.

Danny

[quote user="Pommier"]I did you suggested Quillan and although it said it couldn't make a complete match, it told me this: The following is a list of what our scan was able to detect: System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061 System Model: RF767AA-ABF a1605.fr Motherboard Manufacturer: ASUSTek Computer INC. Motherboard Model: NODUSM3 Maximum Memory Capacity: 4194304 MB Currently Installed Memory: 1024 MB Available Memory Slots: 2 Total Memory Slots: 4 Dual Channel Support: N.A. CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ Mod]]]]le 15, niveau 2 CPU Speed: 2204 MHz[/quote]

If you then click on the bit in blue that says "What kind of memory goes in my computer" (or something similar) it will tell you the type of memory you require. Also, at the bottom of the page it gives you a list of memory you can buy from them that fits your computer and the permutations there of. You might consider stuffing an extra 1 or 2GB which shouldn't cost more than £60 max. 1Gb will probably cost you around £20 plus postage. It usually comes with instructions on how to fit it.

If your really that worried take it to your local computer shop.

Pommier

Reading your posts, it sounds as if you're unfamiliar with the technology, so the computer shop has to be the best and safest option.

Your AMD Athlon should be fine for these sort of games, but your on-board graphics is a weak link as is your current memory capacity.  I expect the shop will recommend a new graphics card (ie, separate from the mainboard) along the lines of an Nvidia - go for the most powerful card you can afford.  As mentioned earlier, 2GB of memory would be the minimum and most people go for the full 4GB.

That should give you enough processing power to run modern games seamlessly without having to reduce the graphics options and effects in order to avoid playing the games in Jerk-o-vision.....[;-)]

The clue to the memory is in the motherboard number and it is:

• Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
  • Supports PC 4200 (533 MHz) and PC2 5300 (667 MHz) DDR2 DIMMs
  • non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 4 GB*
So you need two DDR2 sticks. You should be able to fit either two 512Mb sticks or two 1Gb sticks. These will cost you about €10 for two 512s from here - top one on the list, or €18 each for two 1Gb ones - third one down.

[quote user="Richard"]Has that ever happened to anyone? I'm constantly fiddling around with the insides of my desktop and have never had this problem before.

Having said that, the next time I venture inside I'll probably end up frying the lot lol!
[/quote]

Quite agree it is a load of "edited[:D] geeky politically correct pie in the sky: close edit[:D]".

I take everything out twice a year and do real good dust clean up.

By the way those stupid gas jet cleaning  cylinders are much more likely to cause a static build up.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to be reviving my posting, but.....

Bought and fitted the memory which the computer recognises, but now each time the computer is switched on, it stops in BIOS and says press F1 to enter or F2 to continue. On pressing F2 it loads and works as normal except that occasionally a message comes on screen saying 'automatic adjustment in progress', then it switches off and restarts the computer.

Any ideas?

Yep, press F1 then from the BIOS menu select save and exit (well its something like that, the menu varies from one make of BIOS to another). You don't actually have to do anything inside the BIOS settings it will automatically register the memory. It's just that the bios needs to 'record' how much memory you have.

Archived