Complete France Forum

Skype from android mobile phones

I know that local tourist information offices are  Wi -Fi hotspots and for 1 euro for 24 hours you can use their  connection   If like Vendee Wi-Fi they  will cover most of the bars in the middle of town  from which you can use it .

Also  many  hotels cafe's bars and the likes of Mc D's offer free Wi.Fi .  Now that Skype can be downloaded to android mobiles to make free calls ......  Are you using it in France ? .... How useful do you find it ?.........and if you use the 3g connection to make calls how fast would it use up the megabite allowance of say 500 mg a month given by a phone service provider ?

The link shows an example of Skype on an android for those who may not have seen it  and are thinking about using it ................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh8dFaNcT0c&feature=related

Yes, used it at free wifi spots no worries but I find the call quality drops after a couple of minutes, what used to be called "motorboating" in the days of radio. Haven't used it 3g, haven't needed to.

Looking at changing to BT infinity broadband in the UK, not interested in the 30-40mb (30mb has been promissed) speed but the add ons, BT open zone is everywhere but it will also give me free wifi broadband on my mobile when roaming in France (not sure what the free broadband will actually be like) but hey!

Archived