Complete France Forum

Using Wifi on a mobile phone on the move

I know there are  a lot of technically advanced folk here so .....

My eye was caught by this article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/8752767/Nine-in-10-broadband-users-have-no-idea-they-can-get-free-Wi-Fi.html

and - having gallantly resisted the idea of broadband on the move due to the additional costs - I wondered whether this could be for me,  as we have a BT internet connection in Britain that I know entitles us to use BT WiFi hotspots/BT Fon etc both in Britain and round the world.

So my question is - do all these modern internet type phones include WiFi as a standard?   

My plan would be to get a phone from the Tesco range as we already have a Tesco SIM card,    and then make sure I never allowed it to go onto 3G,  rather instructing it to use BT FON etc instead whenever I was within range.

Is this reasonable of am I missing something?   Can anyone recommend a good easy to use model suitable for this?

Thanks.

All so called 'smartphones' will have WiFi but 'whenever I was within range' will be the tricky bit.

Whilst there are fon type facilities in France I fear you'll be sorely disappointed if you tried to rely on them. You might strike lucky in city areas but other than that remember WiFi range is severely limited and many people struggle to connect within their own property let alone produce sufficient signal to be picked up 10's or hundreds of meters away.

Out of interest: http://forum.fon.com/forum/index.php

Thanks for that Ernie.   Whilst I know a bit about satellites my use of mobile phones is quasi-never and it just hadn't occurred to me that there might be a "free" way of using the internet on the move on a mobile phone.

So it wouldn't be just the FONs and Openzones,   one could presumably use any free WiFi that was around (and I know in France it's all supposed to be protected).    Certainly I know it can work on my laptop,   I get into next door's BT Openzone facility and it works fine,   but then that's close by.

I'll investigate further,   but you've told me what I need to know.   Thanks muchly.

Martin,

Don't think it would work "on the move" but you should be able to do it if you can put the Skype app on your phone and be near those places that supply free wifi for their customers IE burger joints. We used to use Skype on our laptop at those joints, sometimes we sounded like a dalek other times it was ok. You would have to register with Skype and buy time if you wanted to phone a normal phone. But i'm sure you know that bit. Good luck.

I use it on my HTC desire but have to refer to the mobile network (HSDPA or 3G for short) as there are gaps. So nearly had the BT service you mentioned but that's another story. I would imagine that would be very expensive in France unless there is an inclusive bundle.

I can buy into the BT open zone so could give it a try for you on my HTC.

Martin wrote

I get into next door's BT Openzone facility and it works fine,

You are very lucky Here in France I have been given next doors Livebox number to connect with It only works in the garden if the sun shines the wind is from the north its after 6.30 pm and she has left her front door open As for my HST Desire that also in this part of France when it comes to WiFi is as good as a chocolate tea pot

Thanks for the further thoughts - I had wondered if Skype was do-able.

The BT FON/Openzone is (as I understand it) free to use worldwide,  subject to fair usage of course (3000 minutes I think per year).    That's the whole selling point of the thing - again AIUI.

If (and it's a big if) it works then it's really useful and saves a 3G sub.    We had the BT internet package put in at MIL's at £4.99 (special offer) for 18 months,   which seemed a very good deal.  

If I could get a poor man's 3G with it then it becomes spectacularly good value.    And I don't often care to praise BT I hasten to add.

Archived