Complete France Forum

Tired Computer

We've just bought a new computer and now I'm wondering what to do with the old one. It has become very slow and I am assuming that this is because the hard drive is clogged up with stuff. What is the best thing to do to revive this machine? Should I buy a new hard drive and install it or should I wipe the existing hard drive and reinstall the OS (I have the original OS disk). I do not need any of the files or software on the hard drive. All advice gratefully received.

Patrick

Thanks for those replies. It looks like reformatting is the option I will go for. Not having done this before I have a question. Is reinstalling the same as reformatting? Do I just start this process by putting my OS disk in the machine and booting from it, or is their a process before this?

Patrick

reinstalling - as opposed to repairing - should do it. The key will be a screen saying 'Warning !! all existing data will be erased !!!' (or somthing like that) If you don't see that, it may not be reformatting the disk.

Just as an aside.... can you actually get an OS to eat itself? i.e. to format the disk its installed on?

p

If you have no real use for the computer itself, you can remove the hard drive and buy a hard drive enclosure for not much money. Stick the old hard drive into it per the instructions, and hey presto, you'll have a nice new external hard drive which you can reformat and subsequently store all your extra stuff on....hopefully in part preventing your new computer from clogging up as fast as the old one.

Archived