Complete France Forum

Movies on a Netbook

Just to let the three of you know that I benefited greatly from your expertise today as I had my last (well, for the moment at least) chemo today, helped along greatly by the now much-expanded choice of viewing material on my Netbook.  A couple of episodes of Cheers, two or three of Southland, the movie Precious (stunning) and a few tracks from a Karine Polwart concert.  So good not to have to choose in advance what I think I'm going to feel like watching and all works like a dream.

A little 80g hard drive had turned up in the post when I got home - the size and weight of the average smart phone and powered via USB.  I can now start loading that up for the hospital stay next month.

Thanks again from the heart of my b....[kiss]

• 2 months later...

[quote user="CBC65"] Would you recommend your particular model? CBC65[/quote]I certainly would.  To the extent that I have now ordered a bigger one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004NITIXK/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details

I know you can get ones with more memory for less but size-wise (in terms of dimensions, I mean) these are ace things and mine did not hiccup.  One or two reviews weren't good but that applied to every one I looked at, even the famous marques like Western Digital.  I've dropped mine a couple of times (got the USB lead caught in the wheelchair several times - occupational hazzard) and it doesn't seem to mind.

[quote user="CBC65"]Just wondering how you got on with films on your HDD. Would you recommend your particular model? CBC65[/quote]

If you want to watch films, surf the Internet, read emails etc then a Tablet PC is an ideal solution. I have been looking at the 10" ones and the quality is very good. The Android ones are just as good as the Apple IPad and a third of the price (around £130). Copying stuff on to the Tablet, be it music or films is very simple and far less restrictive than using an IPad. Android by the way is, at it's core, a Linux system which is popular amongst quite a few people on the forum. It's worth having a look at them. If your in France and have an ElectroDepot near you it's worth a visit, they normally have a few out on display just to have a play. If you already have an android phone you will feel at home with this sort of Tablet PC. Also a lot of the software is free or very cheap. I have been so impressed with the abilities of my Samsung S which is my first Android phone that a Tablet PC will be top of my birthday present list this year.

I agree about the Android, Q, mega bit of kit.  As I already have a Netbook then a tablet was a step too far but starting from scratch I might well have gone for one.  I'd be a bit put off though by the fact that touching the screen all the time might make it a bit grubby for watching movies on?  Just a thought.

Try looking on Amazon first and read the reviews which what I was doing. One current offering is THIS which does basically everything an IPad can do (You can get a manufacturer refurbished one with unlocked 3G for £99 on Ebay). The problem is that Android is jumping ahead so fast now and we are up to version 4 but that's no big problem because it's free and you can simply (in most cases) upgrade. Likewise there seems to be about ten new Tablets every day.

What I did find out is that many of the Tablets appear to come from just a handful of manufacturers and are simply re-badged. For instance the one I show in the link is also called a Superpad x220. Flytouch is another make that gets re-badged. I thought it strange that some re-badged units get the opposite reviews to the original like the original one is brilliant but the re-badged, exactly the same product, gets bad reviews!

One deciding factor of course is size (steady girls [;-)]), do you want 8" or 10" and of course that big question of old, does size matter? The 8" ones tend to be cheaper of course than the 10". A couple of nights ago whilst Mrs Q was watching something on TV I watched "The Last Bladesman" on my Galaxy S mobile phone which is of course Android and it really was very good in fact I was somewhat blown away by the quality. OK its right in your face watching but the only problem is your arm aches after a while. So if you watch a lot of films then perhaps a 10" one would be better, if not so often then perhaps a 7 or 8" one. The beauty of a 7 or 8" one is that you can fit it in to a large pocket if you have one.

If you read books there is a version of the Kindle software for Android which I use on my phone without any real problem but again it would be nice to have a bigger screen, like on a Tablet.

Which one would I recommend, well I wouldn't at the moment. The reason being is as I said there are new ones coming out all the time (which can make the older ones cheaper) so when it gets closer my birthday I will research the market again. Part of my research will involve copying a film on to a USB memory stick and going round the shops and trying it out on different Tablets.

One thing I have noticed is that there are some Chinese dodgy copies around so I would either buy from Amazon (or another well branded shop) or via EBay using PayPal so I have some form of protection.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="CBC65"]Just wondering how you got on with films on your HDD. Would you recommend your particular model? CBC65[/quote]

If you want to watch films, surf the Internet, read emails etc then a Tablet PC is an ideal solution. I have been looking at the 10" ones and the quality is very good. The Android ones are just as good as the Apple IPad and a third of the price (around £130). Copying stuff on to the Tablet, be it music or films is very simple and far less restrictive than using an IPad. Android by the way is, at it's core, a Linux system which is popular amongst quite a few people on the forum. It's worth having a look at them. If your in France and have an ElectroDepot near you it's worth a visit, they normally have a few out on display just to have a play. If you already have an android phone you will feel at home with this sort of Tablet PC. Also a lot of the software is free or very cheap. I have been so impressed with the abilities of my Samsung S which is my first Android phone that a Tablet PC will be top of my birthday present list this year.

[/quote]

I agree there are some great 10 inch android tablets about ..The Archos for example as well as the Samsung

.I  have tried one 10 in Android tablet and liked it  but had an issue with the suppliers help desk after their upgrade download firmware left me with a boot up problem they could not fix without me sending it back. ...So I did..... and got a refund and bought an  Ipad2  ...A dream of a  machine but as Quillon wrote restrictive ... For example the Lovefilm app is great plays movies from your wi fi shows on your Lovefilm acount as an  added device ..I have tried playing the movies via a HDMI cable on a 40inch Samsung TV but  up comes a message from Lovefilm saying the device does not support TV viewing  ... Apple would rather you downloaded and  rented their movies or bought them so I suspect have frozen out showing Lovefilm  via TV although everything else plays on the TV from the tablet  BBC i and Utube for example 

. Re movies download ... Apple dont like it but the DVD movies can be ripped for Ipad2 and transferred to I tunes and into the Ipad 

If thinking of buying an Android  tablet on line I discovered there are some Chinese copy's  of big manufacturers tablets out there ...It is worth spending  time doing research on the suppliers .

I had a guest with an IPad 2 (and IPhone and IPlayer, a devoted Apple user) who let me play with their IPad for a couple of hours. I was rather disappointed that it could not play 'Flash', a big error on Apples part I thought as lots of websites use Flash. I should add that I don't know if this problem has been fixed yet as there were rumours it would be. The other thing which I really hated was that you basically had to use ITunes which is very restricted. Sometimes people have a CD that I think I might like so they send me an MP3 of one or two tracks. I have a listen and if I like it I buy it, if not I simply delete it. I know that some people don't like Microsoft dictating what they can and cannot have but at this level (music and film) Apple is really taking the p*ss.

The big advantage of the IPad and others like the Samsung Galaxy (which is pretty much the same price as an IPad) is that they can be used like a real computer out of the box with  'Office' type software already installed which whilst the cheaper Tablets don't have as standard so unlike these two (as an example) you have to download and install it. The big advantage however is that a lot of the software for Android kit is free or for 'pennies' compared to other operating systems.

Seems you were unlucky with your upgrade. I have just upgraded my phone to Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich - where do they get these names from!), my bottom was twitching a bit as I have no real experience of Android other than as a user so if it went wrong I would have a serious problem. I made a backup first then followed the instructions and it worked a dream. If it failed all I had to do was a restore.

Archived