Complete France Forum

Gmail personal messages scanned by Google

If  I  was sending personal email by Gmail I would be  unhappy that it was being scanned for key words for advertising purposes. We get enough junk mail as it is without a casual mention of somthing in a personal email about  a purchase resulting loads of ......"You might also like this  "  stuff being recieved .... DuckDuck.Go a search  engine that does not spy on you is likely to get more use now I think. 

http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/technology/internet/now-google-can-spy-on-everything-we-do-1.1247324

Google don't send junk mail though. They do use the content of emails to put adverts which relate to the content of the email next to the message you are reading whilst looking at it in Gmail, but that is all. You don't even have to look at the ads so not something I have a problem with for such a useful email service.

It works in just the same way as the ads which are on the right hand side of this forum when in the main listing - clicking on the ads (which are relevant to the content) is what pays for the upkeep of the site. In Gmail clicking on the ads pays for the free email. You don't have to but as long as someone does then Google make money and keep delivering the service.

I think you may find that all the Internet email services (google, hotmail, yahoo etc) do the same thing with regards to scanning emails for target advertising which is why I won't use them for personal stuff. They also harvest the 'To' and 'From' address's as well. To my mind it's like the post office opening your mail, seeing that you have asked the bank for a loan then stuffing a letter in from another loan provider. Having a non ISP tied email account has some disadvantages if you move IPS's but on the whole they are a lot safer and MS Outlook does at least give you the opportunity to encode your emails if you want.

Unfortunately as anyone with an Android phone or pad will tell you there is a requirement to have a gmail account but then that does not mean you have to use it for emails.

Analysing for keywords for targetted advertising was an up front published feature of Gmail at it's inception.

I use Yahoo but pay £11 PA for no ads and I get none nor any spam from them.

[quote user="andyps"]It works in just the same way as the ads which are

on the right hand side of this forum when in the main listing[/quote]

I don't know what ads you are talking about, nothing on my screen, perhaps it's due to Firefox and Adblock+ [;-)]

I rarely take any notice of ads on websites such as Google for instance. If there does happen to be something I am interested in I still don't click the ad but instead copy and paste the direct link which is usually under it.

Incidentally, every page on this site links to Google analytics and Omniture, a usage tracker, and stores related cookies on your system. Note that is your system not mine as I don't allow them.

If I am not mistaken in I.E.9 all of the websites you visit inc the ones "In private browsing" are stored in the registry (witnessed a huge amount of the web addresses stored) thus quickly filling the registry so slowing down the PC and of course this info could be read at anytime!

I am backing up my files and doing a re-install and will now give firefox a go with the tracking software suggested. Until such time as MS and Google pay me to have PC they can watch over and tout to all and sundry for profit I will take my data with me.

Thanks for all the info.

[quote user="Théière"]

If I am not mistaken in I.E.9 all of the websites you visit inc the ones "In private browsing" are stored in the registry (witnessed a huge amount of the web addresses stored) thus quickly filling the registry so slowing down the PC and of course this info could be read at anytime!

I am backing up my files and doing a re-install and will now give firefox a go with the tracking software suggested. Until such time as MS and Google pay me to have PC they can watch over and tout to all and sundry for profit I will take my data with me.

Thanks for all the info.

[/quote]

Part right part wrong. The file is called index.dat and is linked as part of the registry. It can't be deleted because the operating system locks it when it's running. The file is not browser dependant so whatever people change to it will still exist and function. I don't have time to dig it out but have a look on the MS website you should find more information about it and how it works there.

[quote user="AnOther"]Analysing for keywords for targetted advertising was an up front published feature of Gmail at it's inception.

I use Yahoo but pay £11 PA for no ads and I get none nor any spam from them.

[quote user="andyps"]It works in just the same way as the ads which are on the right hand side of this forum when in the main listing[/quote]
I don't know what ads you are talking about, nothing on my screen, perhaps it's due to Firefox and Adblock+ [;-)]

I rarely take any notice of ads on websites such as Google for instance. If there does happen to be something I am interested in I still don't click the ad but instead copy and paste the direct link which is usually under it.

Incidentally, every page on this site links to Google analytics and Omniture, a usage tracker, and stores related cookies on your system. Note that is your system not mine as I don't allow them.

[/quote] The ads I am talking about appear when in the main home page of the forum - http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/ I am quite happy to receive these ads, if some people click on them it generates an income for the site owners and means they are less likely to need to charge for the forum and can keep it maintained. Whether or not I click depends upon the relevance of the adverts, and the relevance depends upon how much is known about my previous browsing history. It costs me nothing so I don't mind. I am a marketer though, so always interested to see how others promote themselves! Mind you, if the site owners would spend some of the income on sorting out the quote facility I would be grateful, or maybe more people need to actually allow the ads and use them so they do generate some income :) This looks fine in preview, and then posts as it is above!

[quote user="andyps"]The ads I am talking about appear when in the main home page of the forum - http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums[/quote]Nope, not a single add for me there, just the 'Brought to you by French Property News titles etc. on the top left and the Welcome back plus menu links on the top right [;-)]

PS: Nothing wrong with your quoting that I can see [geek]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="andyps"]The ads I am talking about appear when in the main home page of the forum - http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums[/quote]Nope, not a single add for me there, just the 'Brought to you by French Property News titles etc. on the top left and the Welcome back plus menu links on the top right [;-)]

[/quote] The quote was all over the place with lots of html code in it when I posted, but looks fine to me now. Very strange!

[quote user="andyps"][quote user="AnOther"][quote user="andyps"]The ads I am talking about appear when in the main home page of the forum - http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums[/quote]Nope, not a single add for me there, just the 'Brought to you by French Property News titles etc. on the top left and the Welcome back plus menu links on the top right [;-)]

[/quote] The quote was all over the place with lots of html code in it when I posted, but looks fine to me now. Very strange![/quote]

Not strange it's called editing. The problem is with your browser settings, this forum is best viewed with IE. If your using something other than IE or are using a text editor then posting the text in to the forum you will get this problem. You can look in the support part of the forum for a possible fix. Saves me editing your posts. [;-)]