Complete France Forum

Help please - I've messed up the computer!

The computer's been working very slowly, so we decided to use the recovery disks and re-format it (this has worked before). I clicked on 'F' for destructive recovery and it started off ok saying it was formatting, but now it's on a screen showing paper going from a folder on the left to one on the right (this is on an HP PC Recovery screen). It was doing that for about 25 minutes without getting to even 1%, so I tried starting again but it's just the same. Can anyone offer any suggestions, or will it need to go to a repair shop?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Sounds like a sledgehammer to crack a nut but what's done is done.

Personally I'd give it more time, leave it over night even. If it still hasn't worked then it will probably be a job for an expert.

FWIW over the past 15 years or so and maybe 7 or 8 laptops I have never once had to resort to recovery discs, ALL problems are fixable without recourse to that.

Imaging is the answer, with that any OS or software problem is fixable in minutes and if you have sensibly stored your images on separate media that includes a totally knackered hard drive, it really is the ultimate life saver.

http://www.acronis.co.uk/homecomputing/products/trueimage

Archived