Complete France Forum

PC Behaving Badly

One of our PCs (a Medion obtained through Aldi) has behaved perfectly during the 3 year warranty period but has just started to play up. It won't boot up. The power supply fan runs but there is no life at the keyboard or monitor.

It first happened a month ago but with my usual inertia I just left it and have been using this machine instead. However, a few days ago I switched on the Medion and it booted up normally and worked fine - for 3 days. And then the same problem reappeared. In fact it didn't seem to want to shut down but when it finally did it could not be restarted (although again the power supply fan runs normally).

All the connections between the base unit, monitor and keyboard seem fine. It's as if some component within the PC is breaking down when it gets warm, not that it is used for long periods or for anything other than emails and a bit of surfing. The power supply fan and internal fans seem to turn freely and were not choked up with dust. Someone suggested disconnecting any removable circuit boards, cleaning the connections and reinserting, but this has made no difference. I have made a visual inspection of the board components but can't see anything obvious.

Has anyone any other suggestions before I cart it off for a no doubt expensive repair?

When you turn the PC on, how many Beeps do you get?

Do you have a separate video card or is it just run off the Motherboard?

If you have a separate video card, you probably have  a video out from the Motherboard as well, plug your monitor into this and remove video card.  Reboot and see what happens.

If that don't work ......

Next easy thing to try is to test the memory.

Right so here we go

Most probable causes are either memory or motherboard fried.

Remove the memory module(s) and turn on.

If you get 2 beeps this is good as there is a memory fault and this is cheap to replace

If you have 2 memory sticks, try one then the other.

If no beeps then prob a motherboard fault - not cheap :-(((

Many thanks Pierre. I will give all that a go when I can access the PC this evening. Not sure about beeps as pretty deaf so will make sure I have an "assistant". I think it was just memory cards that were removable, with video etc on the motherboard, but I will check.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

If no beeps then prob a motherboard fault - not cheap :-(((

[/quote]

Not cheap, but, if you are prepared to fit it yourself, you can get a processor/motherboard/memory bundle for about £120.

You will, effectively, have a new computer.

Archived