Complete France Forum

Filter for Broadband

Right, have an Ornage engineer coming on Friday 13th (do the French have the same superstition about the day) to get the phone and broadband connected.

The property has the old style French telephone socket. I declined the box on the basis that 3 euros per month adds up to quite a lot.

Obviously I will need a filter to connect the router - where will I be able to buy one?

Paul

Many thanks for the replies and the links.

I went for the Optimale Internet at 38.90 euros:

http://boutique.orange.fr/ESHOP_mx_ft/?tp=F&ref=47748&IDCible=1&type=3

This gives unlimited calls to landlines in France and a vast number of other countries - so no large bills when chatting to friends in the UK.

Just to add thought the service by the English speaking option was extremely good with calls back etc. However, that was sales so just waiting to see how it goes from now on.

Paul

You will need a router that has built in VOIP that is compatible with Orange to make your phone calls. I prefer to rent mine then it's not my problem if it goes wrong and I can get a replacement in a couple of hours and of course as it is rented there is no warranty issue plus there is no problem with Orange if I get a technical problem. Some have used their own router so I know it's possible.

If you are not renting an Orange Livebox then what are you proposing to use instead. If not your own Livebox then do be sure that it is compatible with the Orange VoIP service but a word of caution on that, AFAIK Orange do not give out the details and parameters for setting up VoIP on 3rd party routers !

Regarding filters, if you buy a router in France it will undoubtedly come with filters but the fact is that if you are going VoIP only then you do not actually need one anyway !

The sole purpose of the filter is to separate out a POTS (Plain Old Telephone System) phone from the broadband service which of course only applies if you have retained the FT line and want a phone hard wired to it.

Like Q I prefer to rent. If you buy a Livebox it's something like a 2 year break even point but with the prevalence of lightening storms in certain areas of France 2 years can be a stretch for survival. There is always a queue outside the Orange shops the day after a big storm !

You don't need a VOIP service with this package. The included phone calls come the old fashioned way through the ordinary phone.

My Optimale Internet chugs along quite nicely at 18mb using an old unlocked BT branded wifi router. It's quite amusing that BT replaced it with a Homehub because their software upgrade woudn't work, unlike the "pirate" download which freed it up to work in France. As this particular model was available on Ebay for around £5 I bought another one as a spare. Works out cheaper thyan 3 Euros a month for a Livebox whose VOIP services aren't required.

PS You of course do need a filter not Another's adaptor, because of the live ordinary phone. I suspect Another may have a package with no traditional phone.

Archived