Complete France Forum

Orange phone + internet

it seemed a good idea to ditch France Telecom and use Orange for the phone as we already had their Internet and it saves money and give us free calls from our landline.

The trouble is the Internet is always cutting out and of course the phone with it.  Then the phone rings 3 or 4 times for no reason.  Also the phone extensions no longer work and I have missed calls, not hearing the downstairs phone.  We never know if we have missed calls and of course can't check the Orange website when the Internet is down....   The contract is a year.  Most frustrating!

After the year, is there any better supplier?

Probably an obvious question but have you called Orange Helpline. They are the only company that has an English speaking one.

I believe that it depends on where you live as to how good a service you get. We have always (10 years now, first two with Wanadoo that became Orange) had Orange and have only two problems. The first they actually biked a new Livebox to us and the second (cable fault in the end) an engineer was here next day.

We have just an ordinary account but out neighbour has a business account with SFR and they have currently been without Internet, fax and phone for just under two weeks. The FT guy and SFR guy are supposed to have an on site meet but they never appear at the same time. This is effecting my neighbours business and considering how much they pay, around 90 Euros (per month I think), the service is terrible. On the other hand we have an SFR mobile and it's very good, much better than Orange. The 'cell' went down last year and it took them three weeks to get it back up again but that's the only problem.

Other people in other parts of France have very good service from SFR but the ones I know live in Perpignan, Carcassonne or Toulouse so perhaps it is better in cities or near to them.

To begin with the Internet service and  the VoIP phone are two different things and one droping out does not necessarily mean you lose the other.

Secondly, if your extensions are old style phones which were are connected to the landline then of course they will not ring without it, to replicate that you will need a base station connected to the livebox and cordless phones working from it..

If you did not have Internet dropout problems before ditching the land

line then there is no real reason for it to be happening now so get onto the Orange helpline.

If there is an underlying problem which means that they cannot provide the new service you have signed up for then you have the right to immediately cancel and revert to what you had previously.

[quote user="AnOther"]To begin with the Internet service and  the VoIP phone are two different things and one droping out does not necessarily mean you lose the other.[/quote]

Errrmmm ... the VOIP phone requires the internet connection to be working: it can't work independently of it. However, if the internet connection IS working, the VOIP phone also requires that the Orange's VOIP server is working, contactable and not overloaded by other calls - is that what you are getting at?.

[quote user="AnOther"]Secondly, if your extensions are old style phones which were are connected to the landline then of course they will not ring without it, to replicate that you will need a base station connected to the livebox and cordless phones working from it.[/quote]

Just out of interest, can't you plug the internal extension cable into the phone socket on the router? You can get RJ11-to-FT-cable adapters ...

[quote user="AnOther"]If you did not have Internet dropout problems before ditching the land

line then there is no real reason for it to be happening now so get onto the Orange helpline.

If there is an underlying problem which means that they cannot provide the new service you have signed up for then you have the right to immediately cancel and revert to what you had previously.

[/quote]

Good advice!

I'm another very unhappy France Telecom/|Orange customer. It's just taken three weeks to get my maison secondaire re-connected. Last year it worked immediately. The English speaking helpline has tried but has been pretty useless.

What upset us most was the attitude that we should be happy with the partial service that we had, when my OH said it wasn't acceptable they had no real answer.

Hoddy

You get an RJ11 to 'T' adapter in the box so you can do it either way i.e. RJ11 plug to RJ11 socket or 'T' plug to 'T' socket.

As many will tell you don't use the software, it's junk and changes your browser etc. It is very simple to set it up manually and it is probably quicker than waiting for the software to install.

Archived