Complete France Forum

netbook wont boot.

Hi.

I have an HP mini 110 netbook. It has been working perfectly all summer and now with zero warning it will not boot up at all.

When I power it up the fan spins up, stops then starts again and the wee LED on the caps-lock key flashes twice, then thats it. No activity from the screen, button presses do nothing....its just dead apart from the power light being lit and the fan running at low speed.

According to Google, the 2 flashes from the LED may mean the bios is corrupted and its pretty much dead - is this right? I took it to bits - nothing loose, nothing obviously broken. I left the wee button battery on the motherboard out overnight and all back together it still wont work.

Is it bin-fodder or not?

Charger is fine, as are the batteries. I have the original battery which only lasts a few minutes and a high capacity replacement. Symptoms are the same with either battery or even with no battery and plugged into the mains.

After much fannying about and many, many attempts it booted up last night, so I copied everything onto an external drive and started a system restore. However, the system restore process requires the computer to re-start a couple of times, which it failed to do.

After many, many more tries it rebooted again. Once running it works fine but it just will not re-boot easily - maybe 1 time in 50 it would start normally.

I got it going again last night and left it running, doing updates and this morning it was off, I assume it tried to restart after updating and now it just will not start at all.

I think it's kippered.

Well, I can confidently report that after removing the hard drive - the only useful part which I will buy an external casing for and use as a backup medium - the rest of the computer makes an excellent but not very cost-effective firelighter to get a reluctant woodburner going.

Archived