Complete France Forum

Moving house with SFR

We're moving out of our house on 30th November and going to live in a friend's gite whilst the building of our new house continues. The new house will be finished at the latest by the end of February.

What should I do about SFR and the modem? I phoned and they were suggesting sending a cancellation letter (recorded) and sending back the Neufbox and TV box. I'd be billed €45 cancellation fee. I then order a phone for the new house, for which SFR will reimburse the connection fee and the cancellation fee already paid.

Is there no easier way to do this? I'd rather the line be disconnected at the old address, an order put in for the new address for late February and us look after the boxes - is that a possibility?  

[quote user="Pommier"] I'd rather the line be disconnected at the old address, an order put in for the new address for late February and us look after the boxes - is that a possibility?  [/quote]

I wouldn't have thought so as, in effect, you are asking for a suspension of your line for 3 months and SFR don't do that. When we moved house recently the old access was terminated in the morning of our move and up and running in the new-to-us house in the evening. There was no break in us paying for the service. You are asking for a break in service to include a break in payments. And they have given you their answer; cancel and reapply for the new service in the new location. Seems fair enough to me.

Edit: Logically even if you managed to persuade SFR to agree to your wish then they would have to make a (eventually refundable) charge for the NeufBox - 100 euros or so I believe - just in case you did a runner with it !

Sue

I've achieved a (sort of) result. SFR have agreed to reduce the rental by 10% whilst we're without service, plus one month free, so hopefully we'll only be paying for about 6 weeks service which we won't be getting. It's just so much easier than recorded delivery letters and posting back the boxes, then having to start all over again.

SFR have also got a mobile deal with no minimum term for €19.90 a month giving unlimited calls to French mobiles and to fixed phones in France and 40 other countries, so that will be ideal for inbetween houses.  

Archived