Complete France Forum

Internet by satellite

A friend of mine has asked what I think of the internet by satellite as he is thinking of subscribing to Nordnet system because the Orange connection where he lives keeps breaking down.

I did a search and found that the last discussion was early last year, has anyone any up to date information on these sorts of systems, particularly if you are Nordnet users.

Although we are all talking about the new Astra 2F with regards to TV it also offers 20mb Internet, don't have a clue about upload speed mind. So if it were me I would hang on for a bit and see what comes up re suppliers. Current suppliers offer ( the famous up to) 10mb at the moment. To find out more visit the SES website at http://www.ses-broadband.com . You can save some money buying the kit and installing it yourself. If you can align a dish for TV then it is the same satellite.

I am a Nordnet user and have been for the past 11 months, in that time I have had no disconnection problems and have had a constant 10MB download and 1MB up load up until October when it changed to 12MB and 2MB at no cost to me. If I have any complaint with the system is that they stick rigidly to the fair use policy so if you exceed it then you are screwed right back to less than dial up speeds....it happened to me once when i first got it, needed to download to two satnavs which were over 8GB files, I learnt my lesson. should not be a problem for most users.

Nordnet use either satellites at 28.2 or 9 degrees depending on what system you take out. I am using their tooway system at 9 degrees.

The kit comes in two boxes and is delivered overnight from sign up via DHL and you can either opt to install your self (fairly straight forward with very good instructions) or pay for someone else to install which i think should be included in the price..

HTH

Archived