Complete France Forum

Vocabulaire for satellite installer?

Hi

Now that the wood seems to be clearing regarding Astra 2F but whilst those in the know are still regularly accessing the forum, I wondered if anyone can help me with some suitable vocabulary with which to discuss the satellite TV requirements in our next home with a non-English speaking installer?

What we are after is the mounting of a 60 or 80cm (once I can go back up and measure the one on the roof, which works well after the C5 migration to Astra 2F) offset dish and fitting of a high quality quad LNB to match the dish.  We then need 2 feeds going from LNB to the sky box in the lounge to enable us to have our Sky+HD reinstated.  There is a complication in that the current occupants (the owners) don't want any structural damage or changes of any sort in making these changes, and although the house does have a single co-axial socket receiving a feed from a dish aimed at receiving French TV, it is in the upstairs mezzanine and not in the lounge.  I am unsure if the conduit to this socket could be used to get the feeds in the house prior to (as invisibly as possible) track some co-ax cables through the house and into the lounge.  If not we might need to sling the feeds over the roof and inside somehow using flat cables (which I understand can be obtained - though lead to some loss of signal in use).

There is apparently a very good Polish but French speaking installer locally, so I was going to organise a RDV with him and the owner at the house to discuss our requirements and brainstorm what we can do to achieve what we are after.  I need however to be fully versed with the necessary vocabulary so I can explain better what we need, and I wondered if someone could quickly tell me the french equivalent of words such as satellite dish, feeds, LNB, existing conduits, etc.  The owner, though French has excellent English skills, but I felt it would be better if I was forearmed before any survey is organised.  Many thanks in advance.  [:)]   

Satellite dish = Une parabole de 60cm ...de 80cm  ... Feeds = Cables (un cable) .... LNB = La tete .... Quad LNB = tete a quatre sorties....high quality LNB = Tete de bonne qualite .......Existing conduits = gaines existantes (une gaine) ... Lounge = salon (le salon)..... Sky box = Decodeur Sky.....ask if you need any more.

Oooopssss sorry...

How much = Combien ?

It's too much = c'est trop cher

Do you take cash = Combien pour paiement en liquide?  [8-|]

Come and have a drink, we'll talk about it = Venez prendre un verre (or a coffee) nous en discuterons.....

Archived