Complete France Forum

Problems since re-connection with Orange & Livebox

Our internet and internet telephone went down a week ago, when we managed to contact Orange/France Telecom we were told "Orange were working on the line and it was a big problem"!

Today we've got it back but not without problems.

Our 2nd computer doesn't connect via WiFi when it worked well before, we've tried the pairing button but it didn't resolve the problems.

Our printer/scanner also doesn't seem to connect via Wifi now

When I go into the Livebox admin page it tells me that wifi is enabled and I've taken off security (we are in the middle of nowhere), it shows the livebox in the SSID, mode = b/g and we're currently on channel 6.   Under the paired devices it only shows my PC not the one that doesn't connect via Wifi does anyone know if this is what the problem is?

When I tried to set up Wifi on the printer it detected the Livebox and an Orange network, both of these also show in the menu bar bottom right hand corner (where the WiFi bars show) but they both have a yellow exclamation mark against them, despite the signals being "excellent".

I'm baffled so any help appreciated.

Been there and got the teeshirt. You need to do a factory default reset. Before you do this you need to find the peice of paper with your Internet login and password (not the messenger one). If you don't have this you should not proceed but ask Orange to post you a copy.

Don't know which router you have but they have a tiny hole with the word Reset above it. Normally you press that for a second or two (use a wooden toothpick so as not to short anything out accidentally) and it just does a power on reset. To do a factory default reset you need to hold the button in for about 20 seconds, all the lights will come on then they will cascade in sequence from one side to the other. When it does this release the reset button. You will then be left with the power button on green and the Internet connection light on red/orange. This is how you would have received your router from Orange so now you need to login via your browser and enter your Internet login and password. After that you can change the WiFi settings by removing the password and all should connect. You might have to power down each device and restart it to make the connection. Hope that helps, it normally does.

Thanks for your  help Quillan I will try tomorrow in daylight.

BTW how do you find a MAC address on a French computer, any ideas?   I think I might need to add the 2nd PC's mac number in the configuration page, would this also help?

Unless you are setting up MAC filtering in the Livebox you absolutely do not need MAC addresses for anything, that is a blind alley so don't get further confused by going there.

When you have turned the security mode to 'No security' the MAC

filtering will normally turn itself on - it's design not accident - but there is nothing to stop you

unticking it and then the WiFi will then be completely open.

If you have the Livebox 2 - oblong box with a corner cut off - then there

is no pairing button. The WiFi button on the front is for turning the

WiFi on and off, you hold it for 5 seconds or so to do either.

Re the reset button you can safely use a paperclip or similar for it, it's simply not possible to short or damage anything regardless of what you use. I think the Livebox manual even tells you to use a paperclip.

[quote user="AnOther"]
Re the reset button you can safely use a paperclip or similar for it, it's simply not possible to short or damage anything regardless of what you use. I think the Livebox manual even tells you to use a paperclip.
[/quote]

Your quite wrong, people shove all sorts of things in the reset hole including pins and needles both of which can slip off the button if held at an angle and short out components. I have personally come across two Livebox's that have been damaged this way. If you tell people to use a toothpick then they can't go wrong. You never know what level of competency people have when your on a none technical forum talking about these sort of things so it's best to play safe. As for the paperclip and the manual, well you have to assume two things, first they read French and second and more importantly they actually bother  read the manual. [:D]

Personally I don't bother with the WiFi on the Livebox, it is not very good on range. I use a Netgear WiFI access point, works much better through thick walls and has a much larger range meaning you have far more flexibility with connections and runs at twice the speed (for internal use).

I tend to give people a little credit for common sense but if you are really so inept and hamfisted as to push an object - any object - into a 3mm reset hole with sufficient force to actually damage something then frankly you deserve whatever you get.

Also I wasn't suggesting that people read the manual for advice on what to poke the reset button with, if you are really incapable of working that out for yourself then the best advice I could offer would be to leave it alone until you can find a 4 year old to do it for you [:P]

Incidentally I wonder exactly which component(s) have you found shorted as from what I can see there is precious little on the board in that area at risk ?

[img]http://wiki.openwrt.org/_media/es/toh/sagem/livebox2_board_q.jpg?w=1024[/img]

[quote user="AnOther"]I tend to give people a little credit for common sense but if you are really so inept and hamfisted as to push an object - any object - into a 3mm reset hole with sufficient force to actually damage something then frankly you deserve whatever you get.

Also I wasn't suggesting that people read the manual for advice on what to poke the reset button with, if you are really incapable of working that out for yourself then the best advice I could offer would be to leave it alone until you can find a 4 year old to do it for you [:P]

Incidentally I wonder exactly which component(s) have you found shorted as from what I can see there is precious little on the board in that area at risk ?

[img]http://wiki.openwrt.org/_media/es/toh/sagem/livebox2_board_q.jpg?w=1024[/img]
[/quote]

There are people out there who are technically inept and don't have a clue. Some people, including men, can't even put a mains plug on a cable, change a fuse or cook a boiled egg. That does not mean they are totally inept at all things, usually they are extremely clever in their own field but in other areas they don't have a clue and need to be told. I have seen people looking at their car with the bonnet up and hose in their hand looking for the windscreen wash bottle and giving up even though the lid is ingraved with a picture, they didn't read the manual either. I have watched people try, even with the manual on ther lap, try to program a video recorder. None of that makes them stupid or idiots.

As to the two LiveBox's that I have seen damaged how should I know what they shorted out. Its not their LiveBox it's rented and I wouldn't dream of opening one up and having a look.

I actually agree with you but we are not talking about changing fuses, fitting

plugs, fiddling under car bonnets, or programming video recorders, I'm sure there

will be folks here who would struggle with one or more of those, we are

talking about the most basic of operations, pressing a reset button on a

router and surely anybody who is permitted to be out in public without a chaperone or a guard is capable of doing that be it with a toothpick, a pencil, a paperclip, or any other implement !

Obviously I misread what you wrote [;-)][quote user="Quillan"]including

pins and needles both of which can slip

off the button if held at an angle and short out components. I have

personally come across two Livebox's that have been damaged this

way.[/quote] but looking at the board I'm at a loss to see what damage

or harm harm a pin or paperclip could cause and if someone pressed

something in there with enough force to break the reset button off the

board then my characterisation of inept and hamfisted doesn't even begin

to cover that !

I'm pleased to report that re setting the livebox cured both problems so we are now A OK with connecting to the net.

Now, can anyone help with a windows live mail problem ????    I keep getting a message saying "some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks, review the list of errors ---- send 2 messages via gmail (default) FAILED - LAN"

Do I have to reset anything?

Many thanks

Archived