Complete France Forum

Coincidence?

Our SFR phone and internet has been extremely reliable, so it was unusual to see the lights flashing on and off on the SFR box this morning. It was down and so I tried the usual 'reboot' treatment (screwdriver tip into the orifice at the back). Nothing doing so we just left it and went out, hoping and expecting it to be 'up' when we returned.

It wasn't, so after a further reboot attempt, I rang SFR from my mobile. I eventually got a human being and after I'd explained the problem, she asked me to hang on for a minute or two.

She came back on, apologised at length and (as I understood it at the time) told me to "Patientez" and not to unplug anything. I just thought that there was a local problem and that I'd have to wait for it to be fixed, but 5 minutes later we were back in business.

Was it coincidence, or are they able to send a pulse down the wire to kickstart things?     

[quote user="Quillan"]All the French routers now have remote diagnostics but they can only connect to their side of your DMZ i.e. they can't see inside your network.[/quote]

When I last contacted SFR's helpline, I was told off for having "too many computers" connected, as if that would explain the box constantly turning itself on and off.

The unhelpful SFR person could see the MAC addresses of 1 iPad, 1 iPod, 1 Mac and 1 PC, listed as connected to the box.

I got a bit shirty with him and asked him if they would make the box constantly turning itself on and off and told him I knew exactly what was connected as I use MAC address filtering.

He reset the box to factory default from his end of the line, and I had to re-enter the MAC addresses of all our various devices (12 at the last count!), as well as cancel the pesky public network, which is turned ON by default.

That little exercise taught me to export my settings! [Www]

Thanks Q - that's what I wanted to know, i.e. they can do that & clearly that's what was needed.

It begs the question, if I hadn't gone through the performance of contacting them, which wasn't easy believe me, then I wouldn't be sitting here tapping this out now.

I guess that if you didn't go through all that lark, you'd be cut off forever !!!!

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Quillan"]All the French routers now have remote diagnostics but they can only connect to their side of your DMZ i.e. they can't see inside your network.[/quote]

When I last contacted SFR's helpline, I was told off for having "too many computers" connected, as if that would explain the box constantly turning itself on and off.

The unhelpful SFR person could see the MAC addresses of 1 iPad, 1 iPod, 1 Mac and 1 PC, listed as connected to the box.

I got a bit shirty with him and asked him if they would make the box constantly turning itself on and off and told him I knew exactly what was connected as I use MAC address filtering.

He reset the box to factory default from his end of the line, and I had to re-enter the MAC addresses of all our various devices (12 at the last count!), as well as cancel the pesky public network, which is turned ON by default.

That little exercise taught me to export my settings! [Www]

[/quote]

Too many computers connected??? That's the whole point of them. And 4 devices isn't exactly a lot, is it? Jeez, we have 4 laptops, an ipod, an ipad, a wii, a wii U, and a couple of smart phones regularly connected to our network with no issues whatsoever.

[quote user="Gardian"]...if I hadn't gone through the performance of contacting them, which wasn't easy believe me, then I wouldn't be sitting here tapping this out now.

I guess that if you didn't go through all that lark, you'd be cut off forever !!!![/quote]

The first thing I do if the SFR box plays up is to pull the lead on the side of the box to disconnect it.

I reconnect after 20 seconds and wait for all the thing to come back on.

That usually sorts things out.

If it didn't, I would reset the box (after saving my settings), an only call SFR if that didn't do the trick.

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]Too many computers connected??? That's

the whole point of them. And 4 devices isn't exactly a lot, is it?

Jeez, we have 4 laptops, an ipod, an ipad, a wii, a wii U, and a couple

of smart phones regularly connected to our network with no issues

whatsoever.[/quote]

I know!!! [:-))]

When I had to re-enter all the MAC addresses in the SFR box, I listed everything on a spreadsheet and listed 4 laptops, 2 iPAds, 2 iPods, 1 Wii, 2 Macs and 1 Kindle...

On an average day, there might be 1 laptop, 1 Mac, 1 Kindle and 2 iPads connected by wifi.

Archived