Complete France Forum

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Wi-fi in France

We are talking IT so I am giving myself another chance to show my ignorance on such matters.

My family very generously bought me a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet for my birthday, hoping it would help to keep me entertained - and in touch with the outside world - when locked away in the French bolt hole.

I have played with it in England and got the hang of using the internet function when within range of the router in our UK home. What I'm not clear about is how the internet side will work in the French house which does not yet have a landline and is at least 5 miles from the nearest public wi-fi point. I have been told I can link it in some way with my mobile phone, something which I rarely use and then only for texts (being hard of hearing).

Any guidance/suggestions from those in the know will be greatly appreciated. In case it's relevant, the phone is a Nokia 2700-C which I gather is no longer considered state of the art; it has a UK T-Mobile PAYG SIM. I do also have a no doubt equally aged Nokia 101 phone that I was given for use in France, complete with a French Orange PAYG SIM (although it seems to have locked itself as I overlooked using it within the credit period).

Many thanks

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]

We are talking IT so I am giving myself another chance to show my ignorance on such matters.

My family very generously bought me a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 tablet for my birthday, hoping it would help to keep me entertained - and in touch with the outside world - when locked away in the French bolt hole.

I have played with it in England and got the hang of using the internet function when within range of the router in our UK home. What I'm not clear about is how the internet side will work in the French house which does not yet have a landline and is at least 5 miles from the nearest public wi-fi point. I have been told I can link it in some way with my mobile phone, something which I rarely use and then only for texts (being hard of hearing).

Any guidance/suggestions from those in the know will be greatly appreciated. In case it's relevant, the phone is a Nokia 2700-C which I gather is no longer considered state of the art; it has a UK T-Mobile PAYG SIM. I do also have a no doubt equally aged Nokia 101 phone that I was given for use in France, complete with a French Orange PAYG SIM (although it seems to have locked itself as I overlooked using it within the credit period).

Many thanks

[/quote]

The best way to use it in France (apart from in WiFi spots) is to have a FRENCH mobile SIM which has data included- either PAYG or contract. The SIM goes inside the Galaxy Tab - and can also be used to make phone calls.

There you are, see. You've stumped me straightaway!

I won't have access to it until this evening but will see if there is anything on it or on the box which tells me which I have. It didn't come with a manual as such - you just get a link to a website from which you can download stuff.

Meanwhile, thanks for the replies.

If you have the 3G version it will have a slot on the top edge for a SIM card, it will be next to the slot for the micro SD card

I don't know if your phone is capable of tethering (probably is) but you could use your UK T-Mobile PAYG SIM for data BUT it will cost an arm/leg/other body parts to use it in France.  A French SIM could be the answer if you can get a good data deal.  I get 2Gb for €19 a month (and a 'free' tablet) but that is in Luxembourg

SFR Red offers 3gb of download, free French and International calls (landlines only to 40 countries - UK included) for 19,99 Euros. You also get access to their 'Hotspots' for WiFi and there are hundreds and thousands of them and of course they are free to use. There is no contract and you can keep your old French mobile number. If you are already with SFR you can change over to the tariff via your account space and you won't need a new SIM unless of course it is the wrong physical size. Have to say I like them, no problems wherever I go and never had to call them for support etc.

Another method if you do get a PAYG French data plan is to use a phone as a WiFi hot spot, if you get a good 3G /H signal at the house. This turns my Android phone into a wifi router and my HP Touchpad then locks onto the WiFi as normal without the need for cables. Used it on a campsite in Bordeaux where they wanted 3 euros a day to use their wifi. Worked fine for surfing/checking emails etc

My run of good fortune continues as I have just been given a surplus-to-requirements unlocked Huawei e585 mi-fi that seems perfect for the job. Works in UK with the tablet using phone SIM, so all I need now is to pick up the French SIM asap after we dock in France next week. Even if the house isn't in a hot-spot, shouldn't have to go too far to find one.

I'm getting cocky with the IT lingo now. No doubt heading for a fall....

Nice one

Now don't forget to take chargers and leads for the tablet and the phone with you [:)]

I've lost cout how many times I have forgotton one or the other, I thought I cracked it when everything I had was on micro USB.... then I got the tablet

And don't forget that before you commit to getting a sim card from anyone, make sure your coverage is up to the task. If you don't have good mobile coverage (and, to an extent, even if you do) be prepared for an experience somewhat akin to being on dial-up.

Archived