Complete France Forum

Remote control for Humax Foxsat HD-R Box

Kid grenadine has been poured over the controller of a humax and at present it does not work at all well... it is responsive but unusable.  This means the humax is also unusable as it does not have 'change channel' buttons on the box.

I have a few options:-

Let it dry out.. fingers crossed

Try to configure the tv remove to work with it

Get a new one.. just seen on amazon for 28quid

Get a universal one...

Any thoughts on the above? which will work..

Thanks

Osie

Personally I am a great fan of universal remote control units. I used to have a Philips Pronto but now have a Logitec Harmony One. I have a HiFi with Dolby 7.1 and all the other bits. One press of the button turns on the Sky box, amplifier (and selects correct input) and the TV, it's the same to turn it off. Another button for listening to music and another for my games console etc, etc. Logitec has a database of individual remote controllers so when you set it up you just say the make and model number of each device and then what you want turned on for each function. You can also use the same remote in a different room for a different TV, HiFi etc.

They do different models depending on the complexity of devices you want to control (window blinds, curtains for example) but mine is one of the basic ones.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-One-UK-Universal/dp/B0012RHQN4/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1375259496&sr=8-14&keywords=logitech+harmony

OK the price (£84) might seem a bit steep but I have had it for years, dropped it on the floor, dog tried to eat it and other minor things yet it still works and if I change the TV I simply load the 'control set' for the new TV.

That is quite a price but I see that alot of people think its worth it...

I have seen something for a tenner on ebay which i would hope will do the job... if the drying out process wont work.

I saw the ebay ones with 1.40 postage...

mine is slowly starting to work again... I have found it works unless you push the ok button after which it is not 'ok'.

Removing the batteries at this stage does not help.  I guess that some sticky stuff is causing it to short and after a while it releases only to be restuck when pushing the okay button again...   Sadly the okay button is quite important.

The good news is that the controller works for longer and longer.. i would say I got 10 min use out of it before it gave up on me.  Which makes me think that the grenadine sugars are starting to loose their stickyness...

I also paid 13€ to have a replacement sent and it works fine... for the same price I could have had a controller configured to my tv but I forgot to mention it when I ordered.  They offered to exchange for free but I am going to hold out and see if the my original will unsticky itself.

I will also give the wd40 a go now I have the backup controller.

Archived