Complete France Forum

Humax - French v English

If you mean the Humax HDR1000S UK freesat model

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/products/product.php?gid=135

and the French TNTSAT 5050 model

http://www.humaxdigital.com/fr/products/product.php?gid=273

then, yes is the answer.

There are other models too (and other makes) but it depends what you want it for.

If you want it for UK channels, you need the UK version as it will receive the Freesat EPG and update itself automatically in case of channel/frequency changes.

Danny

In my ignorance I thought it would be dependant on which satellite you pointed the dish at and that it would 'scan' the satellite and pick up anything it can receive from it i.e. point it at the Astra 1N/2F and it would automatically scan and pick up UK TV.

The reason is I need to borrow (in France) a box that will pick up UK HD channels so I can test the new dish. I know it works OK with SD now (after a bit more tweaking) but I don't have an HD setup. Obviously I want to test HD as one day my old TV will go bang and new TV's are mainly HD so I need to be able to upgrade without problems.

The people doing the work only have Canal+ and Humax boxes.

any modern HD box should be able to pick up the HD channels if you are able to enter the dish and frequency settings.

These boxes may allow that in the settings.

You should get a picture on the HD channels but won't be able to see anything in HD on a non HD TV.

Danny

Thanks Danny that is in tune with what the guy said i.e. he would have to enter the information manually. We have a small HD TV which we use in the mobile home for French TV so I will use that to test.

Is there a more 'difficult' HD channel to test? I intend to set an HD channel and then record it for 5 minutes every half hour from about 22:00 to around 07:00 to see if I get pixels and loose the signal. I am thinking that because I can record TNT HD TV via the scart connector on the back of the TV but in SD (the TV seems to be able to 'downgrade' from HD to SD) this would be the way to go for testing but using the Humax as an HD source. If that does not work then it means checking every hour during the night manually as that is when you are most likely to loose the signal if at all.

There are some HD channels that are only on 2F satellite at the moment. These would seem the best to give you a good idea of what you may expect from 2E satellite when in service sometime (allegedly) next month

Good ones to test would be

Channel4 HD

11127 Vertical 22000 QPSK DVBS 5/6

or

BBC1 Scotland HD

11024 Horizontal 23000 8PSK DVBS2 2/3

Danny

Archived