Complete France Forum

Home alarm with telesurvalance

We are contemplating an alarm system for our house. One that is monitored. The company we have details of rent you the system and instal it free of charge. They then charge 37€/month for the monitoring.

If there is an alarm they phone, 1st the house and if no answer, your mobile and if needed, send someone to the house to check to see if the police need calling?

The one thing that would scupper the whole thing is, if there were a break in and the thugs turned off the power then the Livebox we have would be powered off and no call would go anywhere. So, I will be looking for a UPS too.

Has anyone had any dealings with the national French company called EPS please. Any negative comments would be better by PM probably?

John, the monitored alarm service we have uses GSM and has a battery back up so even if the power and phone lines were cut the system would still work and use the cellular telephone network to call out. This is the standard system that is fitted by the particular company my neigbours and I use, so would be surprised if you were not able to obtain the same. I also added monitored smoke detectors as it added little to the cost. One further thing I am adding is a Y-cam home monitor HD/Wi-Fi Wireless video monitoring camera with free online recording that comes highly recommended and is not expensive. 

Ta folks, but can I enquire as to what a GSM network is please. Single sylabals would be apreciated for this old codger

Edit :  - Google being my friend, I have now found what GSM is =  Global System for Mobile Communications, but does it work if you have a mobile that actually makes phone calls and not much else that I know of? And can it be monitored by a third party company?

When we are away I don't really want to be informed that our house is being burgled/burnt down and that I should phone the police/sapeur pompier to see if all is well? I want someone to tell me that that is beinf done and all is well-ish.

Archived