Complete France Forum

Finally the simm has arrived, Saturday. It arrived in a plain white envelope and as we have my sis and co. arrived from Aussie it was overlooked until yesterday. Today it clicked that I was going to have to do some more to get it activated (thick or what?) and I went through the activation proceedure. It told me that the simm was now registered and raring to go. That was about 6 this evening, but it is stil telling me on the phone when I try to use it for a test call the the mobile network is not available!

I have entered the PIN, simm number and gawd knows what else. What am I missing? Answers on a 50€ note please [8-)][8-)]

Amazing - millions of people have joined Free mobile with absolutely no problems since they launched and shook up the French market - at last! I guess some people just attract, or make, their own problems....

Maybe you're up and running now but...

Jonzjob - you did check that you had Free network coverage where you live - didn't you? They use their own network and also 'piggy-back' on the Orange network. And - you did check that your phone is unlocked?

Chiefluvvie :-)

Some people do attract, or make their own problems and I am usually the one around here who they call on for help.

Yes and yes. It must be something to do with helping people most of my life as an IBM mainframe hardware and comms engineer?

I forgot to add that the phone is now connected. It just took its time to do so I assume? The other assumption was that it had informed me that it was now connected before I put my last post on here.

• 4 months later...
Received my sim card today and have been online to set up account, also installed in phone (unlocked), but still showing "Inactive Sim", any idea how long before it becomes active please? Guess its been in phone for nearly 1 & 1/2 hours now.

Johnnyboy

Update: Just tried sim in OH phone to check and it worked, put it back in mine and working there too!

Must be just a coincidence I guess?

Johnnyboy

Having just changed over to Free (wife and youngest already on it), I had no network after the notified time for the change over. Turned the phone off then on, connected straight away.

Trying to pluck up the courage to migrate fully to Free from SFR. We are partially degrouped, so cannot test my line on their site. Would hate to change over and find there was a problem. The nearest shop is in Rennes, has any one visited one of their shops and dealt with the staff?

It's quite normal that you have to restart your phone or tablet after inserting a new SIM.

I have just done the same with a data sim for my tablet.

This one gives me Europe wide roaming with I think reasonable rates for data. Since I visit many countries and can't always find wifi hotspots it could work for me, we will see. In the next couple of weeks I will be going from Luxembourg to Belgium, France, Germany and UK (maybe Netherlands) so I can give it a good try out

If you're interested, more details on

www.bananasim.com  

(yes I agree, a silly name)  You get 50Mb data pre-loaded just to get you going.  The only drawback is that the credit expires after 30 days but does carry forward if you buy more top ups (from €5)

In anticipation of roaming charges going completely next year I have noticed a lot of suppliers are now offering roaming for free.

If you are opening any mobile phone and inserting a SIM you should always power it off. Many phones cannot have the SIM installed if the battery is present anyway. Therefor by default the phone is powered off and on anyway.

[quote user="Quillan"]

If you are opening any mobile phone and inserting a SIM you should always power it off. Many phones cannot have the SIM installed if the battery is present anyway. Therefor by default the phone is powered off and on anyway.

[/quote]

My iPhone sim slot is on the outside of the phone and I would not wish to remove the battery! You had better write to Apple and tell them, perhaps they didn't realise.

Archived