Complete France Forum

Netflix in France, anyone?

Has anyone opened a French Netflix account yet?

I received an invite for a 1-month free trial, to be converted to a subscription account at 7.99€/month... Haven't tried it yet...

I'll try it out, but am reluctant to sign on long-term, as the usual French protectionism seems to restrict the content quite drastically...

More details HERE...

[quote user="NormanH"]It looked to be the usual pap so I didn't bother.
If you were a Pirate (unlike the good folk here) you might consider Popcorn Time (with a VPN)  for the few UK TV series it says it has

http://www.time4popcorn.eu/

[/quote]

I wouldn't bother. I am told the sound cuts in and out and sometimes the films take a long time to load. It is also not up to date. Broadwalk Empire is up to SE5 (last one) E02 now and its not included or so I am told. [;-)]

[quote user="NormanH"]It looked to be the usual pap so I didn't bother.

If you were a Pirate (unlike the good folk here) you might consider Popcorn Time (with a VPN)  for the few UK TV series it says it has

http://www.time4popcorn.eu/

[/quote]

I have read about people who share their Hulu Plus / Amazon (Lovefilm) / Netflix access accounts for a modest annual fee...

I'll try Netflix France for a month and report back! [:)]

• 3 weeks later...
I'm half-way through the Netflix trial, and taking full advantage of it... well, as much as Netflix in France will allow [:)], considering the restrictions placed on the availability of films and series...

The choice of series seems to me to be more restricted than on the US and UK listings, and when there is something I want to watch, I find that the latest seasons are not available, even though they are listed on Netflix US and UK.

For instance, I can binge-watch seasons 1 and 2 of the BBC series Luther on Netflix France, but season 3 is not available.

Same with House and countless other US/UK series.

I like having the option of watching US/UK films and series in their original language... I may have mentioned (once or twice [Www]) before how I cannot stand dubbed programs on French TV!

I will carry on watching until the end of the trial, but will cancel the subscription before the first Paypal payment.

I don't know how much it costs to subscribe for a similar service with other suppliers in France, but at 8€ a month, it  might have been worth it if I did not already have access to Netflix US/UK by other means.

I have read that Netflix subscription will also be available to Orange TV viewers from November...

We've used the LoveFilm app on a Tesco Hudl, with a cable from the HDMI output to an HDMI input on TVs in hotels in France and Germany and Italy. We don't have a subscription and just use the SD resolution rather than HD, but it seems to work quite well. I am a bit mystified because I was under the impression that this ought to have to go through a VPN (I haven't set one up), and that the BBC in particular were shutting down these VPNs as they came across them. Am I missing something or will this route eventually get shut down?

Archived