Complete France Forum

Help with hedgehog

I have found a baby hedgehog today wondering about in daylight in a drunken manner, I have brought it in and put it in the warm and it is taking milk happily in droplets, does anyone know how much they have to weigh before introducing solids, it has teeth , I do not want to carry on with the goats milk if I shouldnt be, it does not seem interested in the cat food.It seems fairly healthy, no wounds and it seems in fairly good shape,it is about the size of one and a half tennis balls.I will keep you posted of how it progresses,it is such a sweety.

It's quite normal for young hedgehogs to wander around in daylight, if its spines are developed and have the same colour as the one in the photo it should be OK on it's own.

[IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q73/unautremonde/Oddments/Hedgehog-1.jpg[/IMG]

Chris

Itwas really falling over all the time when we found it and not with it at all, it has taken a fair amount of the goats milk, but its breathing is really laboured tonight, it does not appear to have an injury, but the outcome does not look good,we will carry on with the feeding every three hours and keep it warm,will let you know what the outcome is in the morning.We really hope it makes it.

I have to say that the symptoms you describe are usually a very bad sign, many young hedgehogs die as a result of sickness in their first month and a large number die as a result of poisoning, so be prepared for the worst.

During the course of a year I either find, or I am called out, to quite a substantial number of birds and small mammals in distress and if I get a 50% success rate I reckon I've done well.

Good luck and stick with it, you never know.

Chris

Archived