Complete France Forum

Black something on the beach and Poppy.

We have just returned from walking the three hounds along the beach.  The tide was in and Poppy did her usual trick and swam half way to the Isle d'Oleron chasing seagulls!  She is deaf to all calls to come back.

I digress.  Near the tide line we found a black jellyfish type blob but more dense than a jellyfish.  It was still alive so we manoeuvred it back into the water.  When we did this it oozed a plum coloured liquid.  When we returned it had gone.  Can anyone tell me what it was?  I have done a quick search on the Internet but found nothing like it.  I usually have my camera with me but unfortunately this time I didn't.

Rather than do another post can anyone suggest how we can stop Poppy killing birds.  To date she has killed 5 sparrows and one junior swallow.  I love my garden birds and am so upset when she kills them.  Up until her arrival the birds were quite safe as Rosie (who died in October), Dylan and Thomas had no desire to kill them and in fact they and the collared doves wandered round together.  The birds have been lulled into a false sense of security and are easy prey for Poppy.  Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sue

[quote user="woolybanana"]Angela, you have a squid in the garden killing birds. Fotos please. Could this be the great Vendéen bird eating squid thought extinct for centuries? With the extra tenticle on the head to hit low flying pigeons. Please let it be.[/quote]

Whatever you are on woolybanana, can I have some too![:)]  Couldn't make head nor tail of your posting.

Angela.  The only squid I have seen in France are those grey veined things on a supermarket fish counter!  I didn't see any obvious tentacles and the one I saw was pitch black so I don't think it was.  I will have to do more research.

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
Is poppy a dog or cat ? try putting a loud bell on the collar of the animal to give the birds a warning that poppy is coming. for a dog there is also a collar that you have a loud buzzer on which you can control remotely, when the dog is being naughty you buzzer the dog and the noise will shock him and hopfully make stop what hes doing 

Thank you Pads for the advice.  Poppy is a rescue dog.  A Rottweiler-Labrador cross.  We put a bell on her collar some time ago and it is quite effective but we decided the only hope for her was to train her bird killing out of her.  This we have done, and successfully we hope, as we haven't had any fatalities for nearly three weeks.  Even the chickens are enjoying a more peaceful life!  She used to rush the fence and really put the wind up them.  Now she casts a glance but shows no real interest.  I wouldn't contemplate using using a buzzer unless all else had failed.  I think it might upset Poppy and she has had enough grief in her 3 years of life.

Sue

Archived