Complete France Forum

Spaying a kitten on heat.

Our six month old kitten is booked in to be sterlised, but I have the feeling she has gone into season!   Since Sunday morning she is continually crying and snuggling up to me, but there is no blood.   I spoke to a vet who says they will check her out with a temperature check and heartbeat check before doing the op, but others say its really dangerous and cannot be done until two months after her chaleur!   Bearing in mind they are in and out all summer,  how can that be?   Website sites in French and English all give differring opinions,   any ever had their cat spayed in season?

Lollie

Hi

Can't help on the cat but the two month rule does apply to dogs, just had mine done after waiting the 2 months.

Panda

EDIT: I have heard of vets spaying when pregnant so it is doable but it must be very risky due to the increased blood flow etc.

Hi

My kitten was doing exactly the same thing a few days before she was due to be spayed.  We went ahead with the procedure and she didn't suffer any after effects at all.  In fact the next day you wouldn't think she had had anything done to her at all.  She just got on with playing with her brothers. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

regards Deborah|

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for the reassurance.   We have dropped her at the refuge, but they were doubtful if the vet will do it!  If not I dont think we will wait two months!  We will go to our usual vet and ask him and pay.   The reason she is at the refuge is that we got her from there at 7 weeks and the price we paid included the op, however; they refused to do it before she was seven months,  then the vet was on holiday for 3 weeks, now it may not be possible for another two months!.

Regards  Lollie

Hi again

What did you decide to do?  We too got our kittens from a refuge and the spaying was included in the price but we decided to take the female to our own vet so we wouldn't have to wait.  Of course the problem if you wait is probably more kittens!  I hope everything has worked out for you.

best wishes Deborah

You can spay a kitten on heat or indeed in the early stages of pregnancy, however it is slightly more risky due to the greatly increased volume of blood in the organs/tissues.

Archived