Complete France Forum

Stray cat found on doorstep

When I returned after a week away I found a black and white male cat insitu in the barn - very friendly and obviously starving hungry.

I was loathe to feed as I know that sometimes they have a home and are just visiting, but could not stand the piteous cries and gave him some milk and bits.

He is a lovely black cat with a white vest, white paws and a white dab on the side of the nose.  He is wearing a blue collar and otherwise seems in good order.

He is obviously a "house cat" and is very friendly and desperate to get in the house.

I am not in a position to keep a cat as I travel a fair bit and there is no one else prepared to look after.

The feeling amongst friends is that he has either got in a vehicle and travelled here in error or that, horrible to think, he has been dumped as his owners have gone back to UK for the winter.  I would like to think the former, but having rescued two tiny puppies who had been dumped just down the road a couple of years ago, one must face the possibility.

If anyone in the area of Richelieu, Loudon, Chinon, L'lle Bouchard has lost a lovely cat  answering his description please post an answer.

Any suggestions as to what can be done for him would be gratefully received.  I have today purchased food for him and will ensure that he has a home at least until into the New Year.  He really is so friendly and lovely and deserves a good home if his own cannot be found for him.

Wendy

In my opinion the first thing to do is visit a vet to check if he's chipped or tatooed ( but that you would see in his ear I guess).

It might help you find the owner.

If not, try to rehome him, ( posting photos on here may help), and at yur local boulangerie, etc,

The last thing being taking him to the local SPA .

WendyG, I agree with Frenchie, however, considering how many stray and dumped kittens there are in France, I suspect that sadly the chances of the poor thing being tattooed and microchipped would be slim to say the least. Putting a photo here on the forum is an excellent idea.

I am no expert with kittens but I seem to remember that it could be harmful to give them cows milk, but perhaps I read your post wrong. Good luck and hope you can find a loving home for the poor little fellow.

[quote user="WJT"]

WendyG, I agree with Frenchie, however, considering how many stray and dumped kittens there are in France, I suspect that sadly the chances of the poor thing being tattooed and microchipped would be slim to say the least. [/quote]

As the poor boy is wearing a collar and seems to be housetrained , I thought he might have been lost..

Worth trying checking if he's microchipped or tatooed, ( the vet doesn't charge anything for that .)

Archived