Complete France Forum

is it ever better to euthanase a pet/animal

It is a terrible fact that there are so so many unwanted pets/animals out there. Some dog charities pride themselves in never putting a dog down- but I often wonder whether it is the right policy. A life behind bars is not a good option I feel.  And at a time when there are so many in need of care, the cost of treating an animal with multiple injuries or a disabilitating disease may not be the best way forward- as the cost of surgery/medicines - never mind the pain suffered by the animal during lengthy treatment- for one animal, could be used to save many more or advertising to find good homes, etc.

At my local wildlife hospital in Leics., when a wild animal is taken in as RTA, snaring, shooting, etc, the first thing assessed, once pain kilers have been given, is 'is that animal going to be able to live properly and independently in the wild' - if the answer is NO then the animal is euthanased. Do we sometimes have to take a step back from the horror of an animal suffering- and accept that euthanasia may be the best thing- however dreadful that may be.

A very difficult and emotional subject, I know.

Archived