Complete France Forum

Where it buy mealworms?

Hi,

I have found a baby swift that cannot be returned to its nest, i have found a fantastic information page on how to look after them and really want to try and save this little bird from the local cats etc....

They eat mealworms and insects only and i am at a loss on where to buy these in France? I have collected insects from the garden but it took so long and i did not get enough for one meal let alone the days feed.

The baby bird is just weeks away from being able to fly and is otherwise in a very healthy state.

Any help would be appreciated.

J

Chris no i have not, i will go and try now, if not its a 40min drive to jardiland, i have just checked the pages juane and there is also a pet shop in Trelissac called Animals so maybe they sell them, i will try Champion first.

If not any tips on catching insects would be appreciated [:D]

Thanks

J

Hi,

I got dried insect food from the pet store 'Animals', they dont get there mealworms in till monday, i found it difficult feeding the bird the dried insects even though i soaked them in water first as they need to be given the  food in a ball form.

I willl keep on trying and feed it the dried insects until i can also obtain the meal worm, i will try super u ! My local champion did not seem to have a fishing fridge, just a shelf which did not have the meal worms on.

I also tried both the local shops in town that sell live fishing bait, both did not have the mealworms.

Thanks again

J

Thanks Bernice its about 35mins away will check it out!

As anyone got any ideas what i can use to stick the dried insects together, water is not allowing me to form a food ball, and the poor thing is not getting alot to eat and getting fed up?????

J

Chris,

No i really do not know what i am doing, its the first bird i have looked after...i have read up on swifts and know as much as i can find on the internet about looking after them, i have emailed the swift society in the uk for further advice. The bird is still healthy after 3 days and alert so i must be doing something right so far. I missed your reply last night so sorry i did not ring, can you let me know when your available again as i would love to know more.

J

The bird will not open its mouth today, very sad but after much research all about swifts and watching you -tube videos on how they should be fed i am really stuck on what to do next! It is still alert and gets out of its nest and walks around the box etc.......

Does anyone know any wildlife centres that may take it?  I feel useless!

j

How did you get on? Hopefully alright? Do let us know, I reared a sparrow from fledgling once, but I was feeding it boiled eggs[:-))] It loved them but it was probably the wrong thing to do!!

Archived