Complete France Forum

Heartworm in Centre Ouest?

I have just being going through a packet of bits and pieces which I received from Jo's husband along with Val when we collected him from Saint-Cloud last week.  In the packet is 6 months supply of a medication against heartworm.  It seems to be an American product (looked on the internet) and is called Sentinel (milbemycin oxime/lufenuron) and appears to be a protective product - give one tablet a month.  I have never thought of heartworm here and although it was endemic in South Africa, we never used to medicate against it and in 20 plus years, never had a dog with it.  Does anybody know if it occurs here and how serious it is?  Does anyone else use a monthly pill against it?  I am not crazy about giving unnecessary medicines but if it is a good idea then perhaps I should.  They are labelled for the months and he has obviously had his July one 'cause the next is for August.  They were quite expensive - almost 80 dollars for 6 months.

Edit.  Sorry guys, did things back to front again and posted then searched.  There is scads of stuff on it.

Thanks Bernice,

Scarey stuff, I think I will continue with the meds although we are not exactly in the south, if it has been recorded in Brittany I think I should be taking care.  Odd that no-one ever made much of an issue of it in South Africa, even though we lived in Durban which is really sub-tropical and presumably a great climate for the worm[+o(]. 

Archived