Complete France Forum

A lorry driver in France

Hi everybody,
This is my first post on this forum so I had better make it good.
I currently live in Ipswich, Suffolk with my wife. We would like to live and work in France but are scared of actually doing the bizz. We holiday in France upto 5 times a year always in the Sologne area.
If we sold up and moved we would have about 40,000. Is this enough to get started? How easy is it to rent?
I own a lorry in the UK and was thinking maybe I could take it to France and re-register it there. Or perhaps sell here and get a job as a "chauffer de camion". Anybody done this kind of thing and willing to get in touch e-mail gte1128@ntlworld.com. Any replies would be grateful. Need all the help we can get for that big jump.
Regards
Terry and Val

If you sell and look to drive in France, then you would need a FIMO, You need to speak,write and read French, the course is about 1500 and consists of 3weeks in a class and 1 week driving, if you have been driving HGV for several years then you can take the FCOS course which is shorter.
I don't know what the regulation is on started up here on your own account, but I guess that you would need the register with C de M and do their simple course, but in any shape or form you will need to have a good command of French to get by the rules and regs involved.
Hope this has not put you off

Sue. Dept 85

Archived