Complete France Forum

Dogs and snake bites

Im taking my Dog to france soon and the area where I am has snakes although I have only seen one in 5 years ... But being the over protective mum that I am .... I was wondering if god forbid she was bitten what are the key things I should do ? obviosly get her to the vets ASAP but can I do any thing first as its a long way from us to the vets . Can I buy any tablets that would be any use ..would antihystermine be any good ? Plus any other tips anyone can think of ...This is her holiday too and I want her to be free as possible to run where she likes and do what she wants but to be safe .

Thankyou

Hello

You would have to be pretty unlucky for that to happen but always good to be prepared.  I have a pump that I bought from a pharmacie in France which you (alegedly) can use to extract venom, I have used it on wasp stings (it's other intended use) and it worked just fine.  Not sure how my pup would have reacted if bitten by a snake and then mum tries to suck the life out of him but thankfully never had to try it!

Others will have more practical advise I'm sure!

P

I once asked my vet about what I should do if that happened to one of my dogs.

He said " aspivenin" if I had one, and the dog must move as little as possible for the venom not to spread in the body, then, rush to the vet !

Fingers crossed it never happens to my doggies.

The safest thing to do in any animal accident is to get the animal to the vet asap.

Make sure you know where the nearest vet is and have their phone N°(s) in the speed dial for all your phones, mobile or landline.

If you're going on holiday, or even if you're only going away for the weekend, or out on a long day trip (say to the coast) use yellow pages online http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/trouverlesprofessionnels/index.do before you go and note down where the nearest vet is and all the details.

For humans, a call to the emergency services works, for pets it's not as good as doing it yourself.

I'm NOT being over careful, I'm a guide dog puppywalker with a lot of experience of Sunday afternoon 'incidents'!

Archived