Complete France Forum

Stray dogs in France

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what happens to stray dogs once they are collected if no owner is found for them? My country is is currently facing a sort of turmoil regarding strays and the mayor of one county suggested that strays that are not collected within a week should be killed, as he claims is done in France. I would really like to know if this is what actually happens of if it just another bad-willing uninformed politician misinforming citizens to make them believe that for the sake of the "countries that are better off do this" mentality.

I would be most grateful for any details regarding the treatment, rescue and protection of stray dogs in France.

Thank you.

Your mayor is not far off Schmuh.

Strays will normally be taken to the SPA (think of this as the pound).  There they will try and be identified.  All dogs in France should have a tattoo or microchip but.....................

If the owner cannot be traced then alternative homing will be sought - basically good hearted folk looking for a dog for themselves.

When that fails, then to make place for the next batch of strays then I am afraid it is euthanasia.  There is not - to the best of my knowledge - a set time frame, but it is certainls not months and months for most dogs.

If you look through this section you will find lots and lots of messages asking for people to take on lovely dogs who are close to being condemned to death.  Due to the good nature of folk, many are saved, but many are not.

Archived