Complete France Forum

staffies

Dianeperry750

hi one and all just wanted to know if/what restrictions are involved with staffies as when in germany they had to be musseled does this apply in france. havent got one at the mo but am looking in to it as i know they are not dangerous as mum and brother have them.
thanks in advance
diane

Yes, I believe all bull terriers (and several other proscribed breeds) need to be registered at the gendarmerie in France, and muzzled when outdoors.
I had a friend who had three she brought over from the UK, and was rather shocked at the way they were treated as though PitBulls by the locals. I beleive you may not breed them without a lot of fuss either.
If you are caught without the muzzle on the dog, it is quite a serious offence including impounding the dog, if he bites then its curtains I'm afraid! (although probably also applies to daschunds!)
sue

We have a staffie, 5 years old.

He is as soft as a brush.

I read a few months ago about the law, after having lived out here with Max since last January.

I have always walked him around where I live and the village without a muzzle on.

I did ask my vet about this and he said it should be ok where I live. He said it had been made law and mainly enforced in large towns as apparently staffies are kept by drug dealers on the streets.

I have never had any problem with any of the locals, they all know my dog and he is very well behaved.

Wish you luck with yours.

Archived