Complete France Forum

tortoises

Juliemick

• 2 weeks later...
The only tortoise that it is legal to buy in France is a Horsefieldii - a russian tortoise. It is also illegal to transport tortoises in vehicles without a licence so take care. There were some Horsfieldii torts available at 145 euros each at our local Tridome garden centre. They were being kept in the wrong conditions and I told them on two occasions, they did not like this but I visited regularly and they have now changed the way they are housed.

Recently I saw torts for sale on our local market, kept in polythene bags under a table, some were in a terrible condition and were species that were protected in France. After the forest fires in the Var and Provence last summer people were "rescuing" tortoise from the forests, when they could probably have dug themselves in and avoided the fires.

Anyway contact me privately by e-mail or this site if you have any more questions, I can point you in the direction of care sites on the web and there are some french sites legally offering Horsefieldii torts for sale. I have been keeping torts for some time now and mine are about 50 - 60 years old, passed on down the family as they can live 100 years or more.

Sorry I do not know where dept 35 is but there is a tortoise sanctuary called La Vallee des Tortues in Sorede near Perpignan, worth a visit for information. tele: 04 68 95 50 50.

Washy

Archived