Complete France Forum

Goats

Deby

I was thinking about keeping some goats. Main purpose would be to keep down the grass and my two children could get to know them -mmmh!

Anyone have any knowledge about keeping them - I am a complete beginner - am I mad or walking into something in pure ignorance?

Thanks
Deby

Hi Deby,

we have several goats and you would be welcome to one of them if you are anywhere near the Morbihan. They need to have shelter as they do not have waterproof coats (similar to donkeys) and they do prefer to browse (eat bushes etc)rather than graze. You need a supply of hay for winter and they also like a few sheep nuts as an extra and will of course, eat most things they are not supposed to eat! We keep ours tethered as even electric fence was not enough (coats so thick they stopped noticing the shock) and my husband got fed up with fetching them back from the farm across the road. Also, we lived in fear of them finding the potager of the two old ladies opposite! They are all pygmies (nice and small) and do have horns, but these are very handy as they double as handles when you want to take them places.
We like the goats and they are popular with children in the summer and very friendly (they will eat out of your hand) but we do have rather alot of animals here, and one less would be useful! They get on well with our sheep and horses and all but one of our dogs who fancies eating them. Send me an email if you want one.

Archived