Complete France Forum

moving zoo to France!

Avril2004

hello everyone,

we have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 7 hens and 1 snake that we would like to take with us to the Limousin. Can anyone foresee any problems? not with the journey, although that will be problem enough, but with the no. of animals we want to take and also with the snake. She is much loved by my daughter and we would be loath to leave her behind.

• 3 weeks later...
We have 6 cats, 2 llamas, 2 goats, 2 tortoise and a dog. We travelled with 4 old cats and a large dog, we exported the cats so minimal paperwork and jabs, but the dog had to have the full rabies jab and chacks etc. This was 2 years ago so things may have changed. Customs barely took any notice, except to ask to stroke th Akita dog! We walked the dog at the port and had the cats in separate boxes with a water supply. We put their beds at the front and made a little section at the back kitted out with a puppy pad with some cat litter on it as we did not intend to have any CATastrophies (forgive me) on the way down wth lost animals. As it was warm we sprayed the cats paws with water to encourage them to lick it off, we only gave them a little food. They all slept except one who howled all the way down to Narbonne.

We used a transport company for the goats and llamas which we had to leave behind in the UK for a while because of the DEFRA restrictions still in place after foot and mouth, and that is another long story.....

Our only hang up with cats an dog, was at the port because we were carrying guns as we had many times before and a particularly stroppy port official held us up so long checking paperwork that we missed the ferry and were in danger of missing our 48 hour window for the paperwork to be acceptable for the animals.

Regards the snake - ring DEFRA - they will probably say it is OK to take the snake out of the country, but then check on French rules.

We inherited two very old tortoise and asked DEFRA if we could take them, no problems they said if they are certain breeds, we sent a photo and all was OK, no paperwork needed but they suggested we rang the french equivalent of DEFRA, Ministere de l'agriculture, find it through YAHOO. I tried and tried to ring them and the embassy in London, not a clue or no answer so we gave up and transported them anyway, we did not try to hide them, in fact they were in the footwell of the car on the passenger side munching away and nice and warm. We took old photos to try and prove we had had them in the family for over 50 years, and the e-mails from DEFRA saying we did not need paperwork. We did not declare them.

Since being here we have found out that it is illegal to transport tortoise across France without a special licence. We actually only have species that are indigenous to this area of France or Spain, and I think they are much happier here (when...the sun shines!!). I think you may have to prove you have a secure cage for the snake on board the ferry. I hope it is not an enormous Python!! Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
I am taking 19 chickens,ducks and geese to France in July. Unfortunately I contacted DEFRA to ask what paperwork was required and now every bird is having to be serologically tested for Salmonella one month before departure, then examined by my Vet on loading the consignment at my UK farm.

With more than 20 birds, trade regulations apply and you can only export if the birds come from a "UK Approved Premises" - impossible for the hobby or back-garden keeper!

I have heard of several people who just stuck poultry into their car and literally sailed through without any hassle. The official route is costing me a fortune and if they fail the blood tests it will all be off!

Good Luck - can you let us know how you get on?

Helen.

Archived