Complete France Forum

Cats to france

Glenn

Does anyone know if this is acceptable?

Move to France, take cats, no rabies injections etc needed as UK is a rabies free country, no other injections needed, and enter france without problems.

If i need to bring cats back to the UK at some future point, find a french vet who knows the UK pet passport scheme and allow 6 months to pass for rabies injections to clear. Can then enter the UK again.

Am i right in my thinking or am i missing something?
Thks in advance!

No, you need export papers from Defra to take the cat into France, the vaccinations need to be up to date (not rabies unless you are going to use campsites or to an area where it is prevalent) and a pre-travel veterinary inspection is required.

18 months ago we brought our four cats to France, we needed DEFRA certificates for each, no rabies jabs as they were being exported, and at average age of 17 were not coming back.....Had a small window of time for the visit to the vet prior to departure and arrival in France because of a long crossing and a delay at the port. Vet would not sign the papers saying the cats were 'healthy' as he found flea dirt on them. I had treated them with flea drops two days previously and I supposed it would be normal for dirt still to be present. Vet insisted on re-treating them at 15 per cat before he would sign papers. I thought two treatments so near would be dangerous, but what could I say??? I had no option, we were half an hour from departure from our family home of 20 years. I started to have a panic attack at the vets and had to be treated by the nurse. SO all in all things were pretty chaotic but we survived.....

Archived