Complete France Forum

Rabid dog South West France

CeeJay

I have just viewed the DEFRA web site and found this very interesting topic, apparently a dog was brought ilegally into France from Morocco and spent some time in the Bordeaux, Lot, Perigeaux (sp.) and other areas around and was found to have rabies.

The French authorities are now trying to find contacts that the infected dog had and this site lists descriptions of those other dogs and their owners together with the exact locations that the infected dog visited.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/details/fpn3.pdf

The authorities seem to have reacted quite fast and "strongly" (can't think of a better word).

All dog events in 4 departments have been banned for 6 months as well as other things (i.e. no dog shows, agility competitions, etc.).

Whilst this particular incident has received quite a bit of publicity, this is not the first case or rabies in France this year. In fact I think it is the 3rd (or may be the 2nd). There were none last year but there was case in 2002.

As I understand it (i.e. the impression I have which may be wrong) - povided your dog is id'd (chip or tatoo) and you can produce a valid rabies certificate then your dog can (legally) raom free. However, if you do no have a valid rabies certificate your dog must be muzled and on a lead in public (and thus cannot roam).

Also, I believe that 3rd party liability insurance (as you get with you house cover) would not cover liability where you dog was roaming and caused an accident.

My friend returned from the Gers last week and told me that any dogs and cats found wandering were being rounded up and taken away. Owners traced by the tatoos where they had them were then told they had one hour to say goodbye and the animals were then put to sleep as a precaution. Even proof of rabies jabs was refuted. This was not an english person by the way, but a fluent french one who told me this as she was very shocked about it and kept her dog on a lead with her at all times.

Archived