Complete France Forum

exporting pets

Diana

Is it still possible to 'export' a pet to France without all the rabies jabs etc. Obviously once there they would only be allowed to return to the UK if they underwent all the necessary jabs, tests and paperwork.  Friends of ours are getting ready to make the big move along with a couple of cats, they do not intend to return to the UK so have not gone through the proceedures. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the French have stopped UK animals arriving this way. Before I alarm them I want to check my facts.

Thanks

Diana

Have you tried looking at the DEFRA website?

To be honest, we've come over several times from the UK into France (via the Channel Tunnel) and no-one has batted an eyelid or even asked for paperwork (even after the deadline for the indroduction of the EU Pet Passports)!  Returning to the UK is a different matter, of course. 

Personally, I would not risk it.  The cats will surely have to have rabies jabs when they get here anyway so why not get it done beforehand?  In theory they will need an EU Passport anyway won't they?

Hi

We are preparing to export our cats and have just had them microchipped and jabbed against rabies.

We were told that is all that is necessary to export them with their own pet passports.

BUT they would not be allowed back into the UK on that passport. 

If they then have a blood test (not less than 30 days after the jab) and the results are positive, they will be issued with a full passport and that means they will be allowed back into the UK - but only 6 months after the date of the positive blood test.

At least I think that is what our vet meant!

Sue

[quote]Is it still possible to 'export' a pet to France without all the rabies jabs etc. Obviously once there they would only be allowed to return to the UK if they underwent all the necessary jabs, tests an...[/quote]

Yes. The French arn't bothered coming in from UK but the return is "something else".

Archived