Complete France Forum

Dog friendly car?

Dc

[quote]We have been given a beautiful cross Labrador, our first dog and will need a new car to accommodate her. Has anybody got any suggestions as to what to get. Any help greatly appreciated. regards dc[/quote]

Dc

In what way do you mean 'dog friendly'?  Truth to tell there is no such thing, it's up to you to create the safest, most comfortable environment for your dog.  Two suggestions immediately come to mind:

1. An estate might be your best option, this would accommodate a cage or a dog guard.

2.  Air conditioning, especially if you are in France and travelling during hot weather. 

As to what make/model I'm afraid that I'm no expert but I do know there are members on this site who are and who, no doubt, will give you the benefit of their expertise, given time.

What are you calling the new member of your family?  Owning a dog brings a whole new perspective to your life.  Enjoy!

Sue

Our Labrador is perfectly happy in the back bit of a Peugeot 306 Estate, with a guard, although he seems OK without the guard. He was always sick in a smaller Peugeot, though he's OK in a Saxo for short distances. His favourite ride was in a new-style Renault Megane convertible with the roof down, wearing a harness that fits to the seat belt.

My own opinion and experience is that space to run around in the car is not an issue. Certainly my own dogs: one likes to sleep whilst the car is moving, the other loves watching everything go past out of the window.

Longer periods in the car (e.g. on cross-channel ferries) are just time for sleep.

Clearly there needs to be space of the dog to stand up decently, turn round and move around a bit (stretch a bit). However, on longer journeys you can always stop for a brief walk every now and again. A ferry channel crossing is no longer than a normal overnight. To some extent there may be a risk that more space may just encourage more movement.

I take my two (Border Collies) around in a Peugeot 207 (small hatch back) with the back seat down flat (so they have the back and not allowed in the front).

In France I have seen that a lot of people taking their dogs to agility club take their dogs around in the large carrying cages/baskets. I don't know the maximum time/distance people would use those for

One hint (and where I failed) is that, if your dog starts to get over-excited when travelling in the car, try to discourage it before it becomes too strong a habit. One of mine is a “total petrol-head” and gets a bit over-excited when I go to start the engine/put the car in gear – to the point where he spins round bashing things. Training to stop this behaviour in its early days would have been a lot easier than addressing it now.

Sorry (not trying to lecture you on how to do things, so don’t take anything the wrong way), though try to take your new dog around in the car quite a bit so she gets used to travelling in your car. If he/she is a puppy, then this is particularly important and getting used to the car can help you have a dog who is a joy to travel with rather than “difficult”.

Anycar will do!  My 2 (lab and lab cross) used to travel quite happily in back of a Mazda MX3 (like MX5 but with hard top)!   It depends if you have other passengers or kids to cart around too.  No kids/other passengers then the world is your oyster providing the dog and you  can be kept safe in the event of an accident.

Be prepared for mud, dog hair and doggy smells though in whatever car you get!!!

Nicola

You might like to think about the height of the back door (assuming an estate-type) that your dog will have to jump - not a problem with young dogs but as they age and the hips start to go, it can make a huge difference.  !We now have to cart around a small table as a half-way stage!)

Also, please don't allow your dog to stick its head out of the window - you see this a lot and it's really bad for them.  As well as the obvious dangers, they can get horrendous eye/nose/throat problems.

Hope you have a lovely time with your dog.

Chrissie

(81)

I just love my Renault Kangoo.  When we had 3 large dogs it was fine. One (now departed) had a great deal of difficulty getting into a normal estate when she developed arthritis and the Kangoo's back door is closer to the ground than a normal car making it much easier for her (and us, not having to lift her in).  Now we only have one dog it comfortably takes dog + a month's groceries!  

I'd thoroughly recommend a Kangoo or Berlingo or Partner, all the same type of MPV.

Diane

Archived